Why is done work carrying over into a new Sprint ?

Joao Borges January 12, 2022

• The team is operating on 2-3 week sprints
  • Project workflow: WorkFlowJira.PNG
  • Sprints are closed as tickets are completed by status "QA DONE" , which is assigned to DONE COLUMN ( "QA DONE", "Done)

BoardJira.PNG

As stories are completed, we move work into the 'Done' column. 

When a new sprint begins, any work previously completed is being carried over into the new sprint (and remains marked as 'Done'). 

How could I avoid things under DONE column showing up on the next sprint ?

3 answers

0 votes
Alan Stephenson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2023

Here is another idea. 

‘’when I look again at your columns I see a done status with a cation icon. This could be due to your workflow doesn’t have a done status. People sometimes confuse status and resolution.

if you have a copy of the workflow it may help.

0 votes
Rochelle Levy September 20, 2023

I am having the same issue. Resolved tickets are being carried over into our next sprint. We have a custom status of 'In production', which is mapped to Done status and I have an automation that when a ticket's status is set to 'in production', it automatically sets to resolve. Before I complete a sprint, I create a 'fallout sprint' so we can review the tickets that were unresolved. The are no resolved tickets visible at this point. Once we have confirmed we will carry all the work over, I move the unresolved tickets into the next sprint and delete the fallout sprint. Before I start the sprint, there are no resolved tickets in the sprint, however - after I start the sprint, the resolved tickets from the previous sprint are visible and counted towards DONE (but oddly, the burndown on Insights is unaffected). My workaround is:

- Creating a new sprint

- Completing the sprint I had started

- Unresolved tickets move to the new sprint

- Deleting the sprint I started previously

- Starting new sprint

Miraculously resolved work not in sprint. 

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? I can only think there is an issue with the automation task

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2023

There's nothing wrong with your automation.

Jira is very simple about carrying over issue into the next sprint - you don't need to look at anything other than the last column on the board.

The last column is what Jira sees as "done".  If your team has failed to complete what it said it would do in the sprint (remember that the whole point of using sprints is to measure success - things going into the next sprint tells you that your team is failing and always needs to be explained and fixed) then the unfinished items will not be in the last column on the board.  

This applies to sub-tasks as well - to be "done" (and hence not carried over to the next sprint), an issue and all of its sub-tasks have to be in the last column on the board.

Rochelle Levy October 2, 2023

Hi Nic, 

Yes, I know Jira is very simple. The DONE tasks are being carried over (the sub tasks are also done). 

This is not helpful. Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2023

You have not told us how you are defining "done".

Also, your process is broken - you should not be creating and deleting a "fallout" sprint, and you should be looking at the current sprint to see where your team has failed to complete what they said they would do in it.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

They need to be in the far right column AND have the resolution field set

Joao Borges January 12, 2022

Joe I did move the column earlier to the far right, where should I have the resolution field set ? on board query  filter ?

Alan Stephenson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2022

You can set the resolution in the post function or on a resolve screen, your choice. 

also it could be the last step of your workflow is really completed, not the done status.

-alan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events