Why is custom field not displaying on selected screens?

Maria Mulkern November 17, 2017

I created a custom field, and then selected the screens on which we want the custom field to be displayed.  The custom field does not appear on the selected screens, yet shows up as a search option in Search Issues.  Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?  

Maria 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2017

Hello,

Go to the screen where the field should be. Then choose Configure Fields in the upper right corner of the screen and click "Where is my field link".

You will see a detailed explanation why your field is absent.

Thank you!  The field was absent because it did not have a default value.  I made the default value today's date.   The field still does not appear on existing issue screens. 

Here's the detailed explanation that I'm now seeing for why the field is absent: 

"The field 'Due Date' does not have value for issue OE-91 and will not be displayed on the view issue page. Set value for that field so that it shows up."

Is it possible to have our custom "Due Date' field (showing the default value of today's date) to display on screens for issues that have already been created in the past -- or do I have to edit each individual issue?   

I much appreciate your help.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2017

Do I understand correctly that right now the field "Due Date" appears for newly created issues but does not appear for old issues?

Yes.  That is correct.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2017

And you want to see it on the view issue screen? On the view issue screen you can see a field only if it has a value. That is how Jira works. If there is no value for a field then it will not be present on the view screen, but it will be present on the create and edit screens. Is it your case?

Yes.  That is exactly the case.   And it makes sense that Jira would only display fields that have a value.  Thanks very much for your help.  

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2017

Ok, Then if a default value is set, then the default value will be set only for new issues. You need to set the Due Date field for all old issues yourself. If the date is the same for all issues then you can use bulk edit tool. If the due date must be calculated on some condition, then you would need a plugin like Adaptivist Scriptrunner, Power Scripts and so on. You could write such a script. Or you have to do it manually one by one.

The date is different for each issue, so I'll have to do it manually.  Fortunately there are fewer than 100 issues to edit.  Thank you!!!

Suggest an answer