Why is an empty version (fixVersion/s, affectsVersion/s) treated differently.

Recently, I've been getting a lot of questions around why Jira treats an empty version differently. The primary use case is when people write a query like 'project = MyProject and fixVersion != Current Release'. They'd expect items without a fixVersion to be returned however, they find that items without a fixVersion are not returned until they add the statment and fixVersion is empty.

Why is that? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

When you search for 'fixVersion != Current Release', the search results will be issues wihout a Fix Version of "Current Release" and not with issues without a Fixed Version. Therefore you need to add 'fixVersion IS EMPTY' for issues without a Fixed Version.

Hope that clarifies.

I have problems with this: I'm trying to search issues that do not have a fixversion. I omited the fixversion in the field configuration for a project, but when I create a new issue does not appear in the filter. I don'n know why this doesn't work if the filter is "fixversion is empty", and I suppose if I don't set any fixversion for a issue this value is empty.

So, what can I do?

Good question. I'd also like to know why query fixVersion != SomeVersion does not return issues in query fixVersion is EMPTY?

Seems to me that fixVersion is EMPTY implies fixVersion != SomeVersion

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

565 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you