Why is CSV bulk import creating duplicates?

Hi, 

I have a csv file with 110 rows, columns are:

IssueType,Traceability,Epic Link,Summary,Description

I map everything in the wizard except IssueType as it's disabled. Epics exist already.  I just expect the issues to be created.

I validate the file in the wizard and only see errors for 10 blank rows, also expected.

Import then creates hundreds of issues, with many duplicate copies of each row.  I don't know how long it would continue, the first time it was >1000 issues. The second I managed to stop it at around 300.  Again there should be about 100 rows.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes
Boris Berenberg Community Champion Aug 03, 2017

I would try cleaning up the error and blank rows and see what happens. Also run your CSV file through some kind of validator to make sure you don't have an issue with quoting or seprators anywhere.

Thanks Boris!  

• removed the interstitial blank rows 
  • found and deleted a single quoted string
  • found and fixed a value that had broken into a second row
  • removed the IssueType column

Wizard behaved quite differently, and succeeded.

Thanks again,

Dave

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

22,590 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you