Why earliestUnreleasedVersion() is always showing the same Version (not the earilest by date)

michalgrzeskowiak October 9, 2018

Hi,

i'm trying to setup a dashbord with next unreleased version (earliestUnreleasedVersion) and i'm using queruy: fixVersion = earliestUnreleasedVersion()

Even though i have few unreleased versions with different release dates, query always returns same version (not the earliest by release date).

How does fixVersion = earliestUnreleasedVersion() works then if it returns same version every time?

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2018

Hello @michalgrzeskowiak and welcome to Community!

This JQL function is a bit tricky, see the documentation:

Note, the "earliest" is determined by the ordering assigned to the versions, not by actual Version Due Dates.

So it's not based on the release date (as you could expect) but on the order in the Versions menu.

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Thanks for fast reply @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ :)
So can i manage somehow that order?

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2018

You can change that order in the Releases menu by drag-and-drop:

version.pngThis screenshot is from a Cloud instance so it may looks different if you're on Server. Let me know if it works :)

Like nikolai_birger likes this

I'm afraid it's not working with drag&drop.
I've just did that and still have same version for that query, even though it's on the bottom.

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2018

Hmm that's weird, it is working on my side:

• When Version 4.0 is below Version 5.0, Version 4.0 is the earliest unreleased version:

release-1.PNGjql-1.PNG

• When Version 5.0 is below Version 4.0, Version 5.0 is the earliest unreleased version:

release-2.PNGjql-2.PNG

Are you on Cloud as well?

Ok, now it works - i thought earliest is on the top (like priority in the backlog).
Thank you -> solved :)

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2018

It's definitely a tricky function :) glad it helped!

Suggest an answer