Why doesn't the Epic Status field show up in an issue?

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

Using Cloud Premium and Automation to create a rule to set the Epic Status as part of a rule execution. I added the Epic Status field to my task screen but it doesn't show up. Am I being thwarted by this locked by Jira field? Does it only appear on Epics no matter what you tell it to do?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2021

Yes, that's the whole point of the Epic status field - it applies to the Epic.  It's not for other issue types.

They display it in some places, but the value is taken from the Epic they are linked to.

The field is locked to prevent you making the mistake of putting it on other issue types - if you could, you could put yourself in a situation where the issue shows the wrong Epic status.

Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2021

Thanks for confirming @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Rats. I wanted to use it to hide the Epic and all of its child issues from the backlog if the Epic went On Hold in my workflow. I suppose I can make a custom issue field that I can set to do the same thing.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events