Why does search filter display the status which is not part of the selected project workflow

Mohamed Naseef P September 28, 2017

I am trying to search for issues with specific status with in a specific Project, but in the filters it is giving me the options to choose the status which is not part of the specific project i selected

3 answers

1 vote
scott_lake September 3, 2020

It seems to me that Mohamed's question is a natural one for users like me that once there is a context selected (for example current project), there should be an easy way to search just within that context.

There should be a way to set up Jira this way, so that if one is performing a bunch of different searches, there is no need to set up a JQL query always having to type in project=

This is simple modal question.  Pretty much any software that has a simple search enquiry operates this way.  Take good old Windows Explorer for example.  If you have a directory selected, and you search - the natural modal thing applies - explorer will only search that directory and subdirectories.

Like Mohamed, I want a context sensitive search feature that doesn't require me to be a JQL programmer for every search.  I want to 'drill down' to a particular 'level' of information in Jira and have a simple search from that level and 'below'.

I suppose that this really means that I would also like Jira to have more of a parent-->child construct. so that child objects inherit attributes from parent items (example: set up a work package and assign epics to that package.  The epics then pass along funding attributes from the work package, to any stories created from an epic-centric view of the data.  Is there any way for those like Mohamed and I can expect more database like functionality out of Jira?

It's pretty amazing to me that with such wide acceptance of this development environment, there isn't an outcry over how much manual data entry is required for individual packets of information which if there was a way to set it up as a database where packet x is 'a member of' packet y, etc. and therefore inherits all of the attributes of the membership group.

Crosses fingers, says a prayer and wishes upon a star....

-Scott

0 votes
Elizabeth Hlavaty July 28, 2023

Same Frustration - I use basic search and regardless of the selected filter, the project isn't honored and with limited search results shown, I often have an issue finding what I'm looking for.  Current frustration is searching for an Epic - I see epics outside of my selected project and can't get to the one I want.  

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2017

I'm assuming that you mean when you're building up the JQL it is doing that? If so, it's because it isn't context sensitive, so at each point you'll get all available options.

I generally start my JQL with project=, at which point it will offer all projects in our instance of Jira. Then if I go to status=, it will offer all statuses, even those that aren't available to my project.

As stated, it isn't context sensitive

Mohamed Naseef P October 1, 2017

Thanks for the Reply Warren,

No, I am using the basic search, so i choose the Project first in the filter and then while i click on the status drop down, it is giving me a list of status which are not part of the workflow of the selected Project

Suggest an answer