Why does aging report give unexpected answers?

John Schwab April 5, 2016

When I run the query "project = VIEQ AND issuetype in (Bug, Nit) AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved, "Delivered to QA", "In Testing")", it finds 81 results. (the issue types are all of them except closed and resolved)

But when I run the aging report on the same project for Bugs and Nits, but with no status (since the report does that), it finds 140 items for today. That query, BTW, is "project = VIEQ AND issuetype in (Bug, Nit)"

Can someone help me understand how this is calculated, and/or what the discrepancy is caused by?

1 answer

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2016

They are different queries so I'm not surprised it has different results. Since you have excluded the statuses, best chance is that there are issues that are not in the statuses from the first query. Have you checked that? Validate it by running this..

project = VIEQ AND issuetype in (Bug, Nit) AND status NOT in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved, "Delivered to QA", "In Testing")"

Edit (since I cannot add any comment on this ticket)

That Aging report gets it from issues that have not been "Resolved", in JIRA terms that is issues that have no "Resolution" value set. This is the criteria that a JIRA issue is considered ultimately done (not via issue status).

John Schwab April 5, 2016

I find the same number of results using your test query and subtracting that number from total issues, 81. I guess the issue is that I don't know how the Aging Report works exactly. I expected it to search all results from "project = VIEQ AND issuetype in (Bug, Nit)" and find when issues transitioned to Closed. How can I find out how that works so I can make the report meaningful?

Suggest an answer