Why do some tickets move to the next sprint and some go to the backlog?

Sharon Bruhn June 6, 2016

When I am ending my sprint, I get the message that incomplete issues will move to the backlog, or to the sprint I select. I select the upcoming sprint and then only SOME of the issues are moving to the next sprint, and some of them are getting buried in the backlog.

In my last sprint, there were 6 issues that should have moved forward, but only one did. I'm closing the sprint from a board that is only filtered by project, and the tasks are all in the same incomplete status "Verify on Prod".

The only features that I can see that separate the one that moved forward was it is a sub-task, where the others are either a Story or a Task.

Also, the one that moved forward had a different value for "component' than the other five.

This is a lovely puzzle, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Anyone have an idea?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2016
I think I can sum up the answers succinctly here – 
  1. Being present in the final column is the criteria for being completed in the current sprint. If the issue isn't inside the final column, it is moved to the top of the backlog/next planned sprint.
  2. Sub-Tasks are treated as part of the Parent they are related to. If all the Sub-Tasks aren't completed, the Parent isn't complete.
0 votes

It was the board configuration. I moved "in progress" to the correct column and that solved the problem. Thank you for your help, Steven

0 votes

I was just honing in on that since the subtask (that moved forward correctly) is tied to a task that is still "in progress". I just can't figure out why "verify on prod" tickets are getting put in the "done" column, I think the board configuration is probably the culprit and then I can blame someone else since I didn't do that!  Thanks so much!

Suggest an answer