Why do random issues block me from updating the status even with admin access?

corey_rotterman November 11, 2019

I manage one of the JIRA projects for my company and, therefore, have admin privileges. I am able to edit everything on respective issues, including the Status tab.Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 10.21.34 AM.pngHowever, there are a couple random issues that are not able to have their Status changed by myself or general JIRA admins. The most recent case is caused by bulk updates, where I have about six open tickets that cannot be transitioned by Status.Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 10.21.16 AM.pngIs this a known issue?

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2019

check your workflow for a Condition that restricts who can transition.

No restrictions are visible. The workflow is the same between completed issues and the bugged issues.Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 11.53.59 AM.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2019

did you drill down into the transitions themselves (double-click the transition) and check for Conditions? You mention they are "random issues" but I suspect there is something unique about those you cannot transition unless you are saying that an issue can be transition one moment but not the next.

Not able (or unsure how) to double-click the transitions themselves, but I went into the respective workflow scheme:

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 12.35.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-11 at 12.35.45 PM.pngThe "Task To Do" Status is defaulted whenever an issue is created in this particular project. I'm not sure, however, if the problem occurs during the issue creation or after the ticket is updated in some way other.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2019

are you an admin? If so go to project > project settings > workflows and edit the associated workflow in diagram mode. Double click on one of the transitions that you are not able to execute. From your initial images it appears that when an issue is in the To Do status you cannot transition it which is pretty bizarre given your workflow image. That would seem to say that you cannot transition out of To Do via any transitions (In use, Not in use, Complete, etc.). One question do you only have a single workflow for all issue types? If multiple be sure to edit the one that is associated w/ the issuetype where you are seeing the problem.

From the "Task To Do" status, it appears there are no conditions preventing transitions.

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.47.39 PM.png

I am an admin and able to edit just about anything, including the Status tab. These problems are one offs from my normal activities, where I can freely make Status transitions (which is why I provided the pictures in my original post). This workflow works for 2 issue types, but they are exclusive to this project and appear to be fine.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2019

can you also check say the "In Use" transition not the status? I suspect there is nothing there either but want to rule it out.

Same applies to the transition steps:

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 2.47.42 PM.png

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2019

I am making a wild guess - maybe the issue is shared in multiple projects/boards with varying permissions ?

Not sure though

I do not believe so. Out of 131 issues I recently bulk updated, only 1 ran into the Status problem. These issues are generated by the Scheduled Issues extension every day only for the project I manage. I can't say if the issue occurs when an issue is initially created since that's an absurd amount to manually check.

Suggest an answer