Why do my new issues have the resolved date set?

Dean Holdren September 23, 2014

I recently added a new project using my existing workflow.

When I create a new issue in the new project, the resolved date is set to current date.

How can I avoid this?  And is there anyway to unset this field?

EDIT: This only happens when using the "Create issue" link on an Agile board in "Plan" mode.  Creating from the top menu works correctly

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dean Holdren September 26, 2014

So Atlassian support had me create a post function that set the Resolution field to "None" (cleared) on the "Create" transition to "New" (had to edit the "New" step). But that's just a workaround in my book. Hopefully they will have a fix for everyone. Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2014

That implies that somehow the Agile create function is behaving like it's setting a resolution (and hence resolved date). Which really does imply a bug in Agile to me. You've got a working workaround, but, as you say, would be nice if they do fix it properly!

2 votes
Johannes Heger (CD) August 10, 2018

I had the behaviour of set Resolved dates (Jira 7.4.4) and found the root cause in my case, Nick gave the hint:

If the field Resolution is on the screen used for the create-action, Jira sets the Resolved date.

A similar behaviour is described in JRASERVER-20286 "Date resolved is updated whenever resolution is included in transition screen"

I added the field 'Resolution' to the screen used for issue creation. This was because I intended to use only one default screen for create, edit, and view. At the end, I added Resolution only to get it on the 'view'. But this is unnecessary, as Jira shows the Resolution as well as the Resolved date anyway.

0 votes
Preiti Chauhan September 11, 2020

here is no resolution set, it is "Unresolved" when I view the newly created ticket. The issue is the "resolved" date field. Also, this project is using the same workflow as another project, and that other one does not have this issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2020

Do you have a resolution of "unresolved" on the list of possible resolutions when you go to admin -> issues -> resolutions?

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2020
0 votes
Melinda Atkinson November 21, 2019

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this -- in Jira 7.13, if an issue is created from a Jira Portfolio plan, the resolution date is being populated at create. 
Raising with Atlassian as a support ticket -- will update with the outcome.

0 votes
Jonathan B. September 23, 2014

Try editing that "Create Issue" step in your workflow and add a Post Function (diagram view seems to work better for this in my opinion). Add a post function "Update Issue Field" that sets the Resolution field to "None." I was referencing the link below...

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+to+clear+the+resolution+field+when+the+issue+is+reopened

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2014

It would be better not to set the resolution at the wrong point in the workflow, surely?

Dean Holdren September 24, 2014

the "Resolution" field is correctly set as "Unresolved". The "Resolved" (date) field is the one being set in error when I create an issue.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2014

Are you setting a resolution as you create the issue?  By post function or by having the resolution on the "create" screen?  Either of those will set the resolved date as well as breaking the resolution for you.

there is no resolution set, it is "Unresolved" when I view the newly created ticket. The issue is the "resolved" date field. Also, this project is using the same workflow as another project, and that other one does not have this issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 24, 2014

Ok, I'm thinking out loud here. The point is that this field is only set by Jira when you deliberately set the resolution field. I've already pointed out the two standard ways it could happen. There is a third variant, if someone has added "Unresolved" as a value to the list of resolutions and then that is used on screen or in post-function. (Check the issue again, if it's showing "Unresolved" as plain text, you have a problem, if it's showing "Unresolved" in italics, then it's not that) So if it's definitely not the resolution being set, then there is something in your workflow setting it, or a listener updating it. Both are, of course, bad things to do, because the point of the field is to catch when the resolution field is set to <not null>, but I'm afraid you'll need to investigate that for yourself, we don't have access to your system to find out what it's doing.

I investigated this further with some other users at our company, and saw that it only happens when using the "Create issue" link on the "Plan" view of an Agile board. It doesn't happen when using the "Create" button in the menu.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2014

Ahh! Now that sounds like a honking great bug in Agile! I can't think of a way that the quick-create-issue-in-plan-mode would use core Jira to do this. It really should obey what the workflow does when you're using "plain" Jira. Unless, of course, your newly created issues are being created in the "done" column (which is a wild guess, and really shouldn't happen, but it's the only way I can see this actually happening) I can't find a bug report for this on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS - I'd suggest you take a look (different pair of eyes) and then

Suggest an answer