Why do my Stories show multiple Sprints?

Parimal Zaveri June 19, 2018

I recently joined my company - which has been using JIRA Cloud for scrum based software dev.

I notice that many stories have multiple values in the Sprint field - apparently its recording all sprints that a Story was ever in. For example, if a story was originally planned for Sprint 1, then got moved to Sprint 2 - it shows "Sprint 1, Sprint 2" as the values for the Sprint field.

I just want the currently assigned Sprint - blank if its in the backlog

Is this a config setting? Are there multiple Sprint related fields and we just need to expose the correct one?

1 answer

1 vote
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2018

Hey Parimal,

There is only the one Sprint field by default.

You can clear all of the previous values from the Sprint field.

Going forward as long as you remove all Stories that were not completed before closing the Sprint they will not keep the old values.  The only time they will carry the value forward is if the Sprint is closed and they are moved (either to the backlog or the next Sprint).

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Parimal Zaveri June 19, 2018

@Tyler Brown Thanks for your reply.

Moving forward, I will make sure things are done in the correct order - moving stories first, then close sprints

How do I clear the previous Sprint values?

Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2018

You can preform a bulk change on all issues.

Search for everything that's not closed and not in the current Sprint and then edit the "Sprint" field but leave it blank and that should sort everything out.

Ann Guerra April 8, 2020

Can this be fixed?  Seems like a bug not a feature.  I don't see a use case where we would want to close a sprint and let Jira move the stories to the backlog or the next sprint AND also want to keep all the prior sprints it was ever in.   

If there is a use case for when we would want this to happen, please tell me?  Takes away from the usability of an otherwise nice feature.

Like # people like this
Abhigyan Singh March 23, 2021

Yes, carrying multiple sprint names in the same sprint box is a little counterintuitive.

If I want to know the current sprint of an issue I'll look at its Sprint value, and seeing two sprints there won't make sense.

If ever we want to see the previous Sprints an issue was in we could always view its History. 

Cuz Sprint maps to a particular date range in actual time, showing multiple sprints means the same issue is in different time periods simultaneously.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer