Why do I keep getting these errors? I am trying to link Tasks to Stories?

Anand_G
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 14, 2020

Import completed with 81 errors:

• Unable to link issue from autoid--3102852185426692708 to 10001 with link named 'sub-task-link': Cannot find imported issue key for external id '10001'
  • Destination issue not found
  • Unable to link issue from autoid-8972870593890758547 to 10005 with link named 'sub-task-link': Cannot find imported issue key for external id '10005'
  • Unable to link issue from autoid-4830151330702793332 to 10005 with link named 'sub-task-link': Cannot find imported issue key for external id '10005'
  • Unable to link issue from autoid-900111869322933838 to 10005 with link named 'sub-task-link': Cannot find imported issue key for external id '10005'
  1. I have exported the Jira template
  2. Completed the information
  3. Imported the User Stories
  4. Added the Parent IDs e.g. 10005 as the Parent Id column
  5. I am trying to import tasks

I receive the above error!

I am using the FREE version of Jira (I was trying to push management to adopt this for 50+ users but having second thoughts..!!)

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2020

Hello @Anand_G

Welcome to the Atlassian Community. Sorry to see that you are facing some problems when linking issues through the CSV import.

Per your description, it seems you are trying to link tasks to Stories using the parent ID Column. If that's the case, I believe you might be misunderstanding how the issue link works with CSV. Please, allow me to provide you some concepts and details so we can confirm we are on the same page here:

The parent ID field can be used to link sub-tasks to Standard issue types (Tasks, Stories, etc), however, it should not be used to link two standard issue-types. In fact, both are completely different functionalities.

That being said, to link a Standard issue type to another (Story to Task), one column must be mapped as Issue ID and the other as the desired link type (e.g. "Link 'relates to'" which is the Outward link Description as described in Configuring issue linking). The 'Link' column needs to have a value corresponding to the other issue 'Issue Id' value, or it needs to be an issue key of the already existing issue within the JIRA instance to which the data is being imported. For example:

Summary,Issue Id,Link One,Link One,Link Two
House  ,       1,       2,       3,       2
Patio  ,       2,        ,        ,
Garden ,       3,  TEST-1,        ,

The file above would create three issues with correctly created issue links:

• Issue 'House' will have three links:
    • Two links of type "Link One" to issue 'Patio' and 'Garden'
    • One link of type "Link Two" to issue 'Patio'
  • Issue 'Garden' will be linked to issue with key 'TEST-1'

P.S: The link columns must be added with the Outward link as described in Configuring issue linking. Inward links will not work in the CSV import.

Additional to that, Next-gen projects do not support CSV import due to some bugs we are still working to get fixed (You can check more details in this link). If you want to use the CSV import feature, use a Classic project instead.

For more details and examples about the information provided, you can refer to the documentation below:

Import issue links from a CSV File in Jira

Importing data from CSV

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer