Why do I get so many fixversions in my agile board?

Greg Sarcona November 19, 2019

Why do I get so many fixversions in my agile board?

My board query results in 204 issues.

The Releases panel shows hundreds of fixversions!  Where did they all come from?

More importantly, how do I get rid of the ones which have no issues on the board.

The filter is simple:

project = XXX or (labels in (aa, bb, cc) and project not in (YYY, ZZZ))

The Configure screen says that the result contains 354 projects, yet the result list is only 204 issues from 5 projects.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2019

Hey Greg,

so you're pulling in issues from multiple projects into a single board? Every project has its versions. And of course, these will be displayed on your board as well.

The good thing is that all unreleased versions are displayed first and when you archive a version it will not appear in the dropdown. Looks like there's some spring cleaning to do! ;)

Best, Max

Greg Sarcona November 20, 2019

Thanks, Max.  I guessed that it might be pulling in every release from every project, yet hoping tat someone knew how to get Jira agile to self-limit non-represented releases.  Maybe that's the way Jira works: find the projects; find the releases; find the issues. 

Fortunately, it isn't a blocking problem for this team.  They are a kanban-based shared-services team, so we don't set things according to the other projects' releases. 

I was just hopping that the board would self-limit it releases to those which were associated with the issues instead of the projects. 

Not using the releases will be ok for the team.  But it seems there is a performance issue with the board because of all the releases it loads.  I'll put on a wizard hat and see what I can do for the team.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2019

Hey Greg,

you're welcome, quoting you:

I was just hopping that the board would self-limit it releases to those which were associated with the issues instead of the projects. 

But then how would you assign issues to a new version you just created (not inline) in a project? :D 

As said, archiving released versions could help because they won't be listed anymore. But that depends on how important all those versions are or if they have to be selectable in issues. Is it necessary to pull 300+ projects into a single board? Maybe adjusting the filter to reduce the amount of (unnecessarily added) projects is also advisable.

Like Greg Sarcona likes this
Greg Sarcona November 21, 2019

Indeed, I am busted!

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this

Suggest an answer