Why can't I use Drag and Drop sorting using Rank Field on Rapid Board?

INGEMAR FLORES August 15, 2011

I am using the latest version of Jira (4.4) with the built in Greenhopper plugin (5.7). I saw in the video that you can sort task cards on the rapid board by dragging them up and down. I am not able to do this. I have "Rank" set as the ranking field in the Greenhopper config. I can see the rank field in each issue on the board, but I can't edit it.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

7 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2011

Hello,

Please add ORDER BY "Global Rank" to your Rapid View query. You will then be able to drag and drop to rank.

I have updated the Using the Rapid Board documentation to reflect this.

Thank you,

Nicholas Muldoon

INGEMAR FLORES August 15, 2011

Thanks! Works good now.

0 votes
Anton Marinov October 18, 2011

Hi Nicholas,

I will need some more help.

We managed to upgrade to JIRA 4.4 and GreenHopper 5.7.4, but I am still experiencing issues with the sequencing of tickets on the Rapid Board.

This time, I can drag and drop and the order seems to change for a second or two, but then reverts back to the previous status. I have confirmed that the Filter has the data sorted by Global Rank. I am not clear what I am missing. Will you be able to help?

One thing thta I noticed today while trying to figure out what the issue might be, is that it works fine on the Rapid Board for all tickets, but when I drill down in the additional filters by person it does not work and reverts back to the original. Is this expected and how can I overcome this, as this is a major issue for us in our effort to assign and sequence tasks for our dev team?

Regards,

Anton

0 votes
Anton Marinov October 18, 2011

Hi Nicholas,

We managed to upgrade our JIRA instance to 4.4 and have GreenHopper 5.7.4 and when I go to the Rapid Board, and try to drag and drop to change the sequence, I am still having issues - the sequence does not stick. It updates for around 1sec and then reverts back again. I checked and confirmed that I have the sort by Global Rank.

Am I missing something?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Anton

0 votes
Anton Marinov September 23, 2011

Thanks, Nicholas.

This clarification was helpful.

We willd efinitely do this, in fact, we were about to do it, when we found out that there is an issue when using JIRA 4.4 and the Zendesk plugin. From what I saw, this appears to be an issue on Zendesk's side, which are awaiting the resolution for and will proceed with the JIRA upgrade.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

Anton

0 votes
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2011

Hi Anton,

For ranking on the Rapid Board you will need to be on JIRA 4.4.x and GreenHopper 5.7.x, the latest versions at writing are JIRA 4.4.1 and GreenHopper 5.7.2. Please upgrade and you will have the ability to rank using drag and drop on the Rapid Board.

Note, this does not preclude you from ranking on the Planning Board today.

Thanks Anton.

Regards,
Nicholas

Mark Riedeman April 29, 2012

This weekend, I upgraded to the latest versions of Jira and Greenhopper, and now the Rapid Board is not sorting correctly any more. I have:

• Created a new custom Global Rank field called Global Rank
  • Made that the default rank field for Greenhopper projects
  • Made that the ranking field for my project
  • Changed the filter used by the Rapid Board to sort by Global Rank desc

Now, every time I try to re-sort the board by dragging and dropping in the Rapid Board, it looks like it works for a second, but then it moves it to the very bottom of the list (regardless of where I dropped it).

Drag-and-drop sorting does work on the planning board. Just not the Rapid Board.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--M.

0 votes
Anton Marinov September 20, 2011

What kind of permission do I need for this? I am a JIRA admin user and have access to the GreenHopper configuration in JIRA, is there anything else I need?

I do have the rank on the issue screen, the default value is Last.

0 votes
Anton Marinov September 20, 2011

Hi Nicholas,

I've added the Global Rank Order and I am still unable to drag and drop cards on the Rapid Board, under the same column.

Is it possible that this is browser related? Or is it because the cards are part of a sprint?

My jql is very simple - just assignee and the Order by Rank, so I should be missing something, but am not able to figure it out by looking up the documentation or watching the video.

I just noticed I am not the below JIRA and Greenhopper versions:

JIRA (v4.3.4#620-r152668) & GreenHopper (v5.6.8) - is this an issue? And also, we are using an eval version of GreenHopper to understand if it will work for us - does that make a difference?

Any help will be appreciated.

Anton Marinov

Jon Cotter
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2011

Make sure your user has permissions, and make sure that you have a rank field in your issue screens

Suggest an answer