Why can't I set values for and require certain custom fields when creating a subtask?

Austin Neuner November 13, 2019

I am using Jira Core hosted in the cloud. I have Jira Administrator global access. This question began as a separate question "Why can't I create a subtask from the view issue screen?" found here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Why-can-t-I-create-a-subtask-from-the-view-issue-screen/qaq-p/1226510?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_answer&utm_content=topic

I had set a Checkboxes custom field called "Department" as required for the subtask. Once I made "Department" optional, I was able to create a subtask. However, when creating the subtask, I want to be able to set certain fields such as Assignee, Due Date, and Department. The way it is currently, when the subtask is created it is automatically assigned to the Project Lead, and I am not given the option to set any custom fields without clicking on and viewing the subtask. Is there a way to set these values upon creation of the subtask? In other words, there is no creation screen that appears for the subtask. I can only populate the Summary field on the view/edit issue screen of the parent issue. Currently, both tasks and subtasks share the same create issue screen and view/edit issue screen. Any and all help is appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2019

Why don't you create a separate "create screen" for your subtask and put all the fields and custom fields you want to set in it?

Besides you have to deactivate the assignment of issues to the project lead because if not, Jira will automatically assigne your subtask to the project lead although you have specified an assignee in your create screen. 

if you need some help in assigning screens to operations (create/edit/view) you can go through this documentation

Austin Neuner November 13, 2019

I have created a new screen and screen scheme for subtask issue types and set it as the default for create, view, and edit operations. However, this screen still does not appear when a subtask is created.

Screen scheme ECO Subtask.JPG

This is what I see in step-by-step screen shots:

Step 1:

Click Here 1.JPGStep 2:Type here.JPG

Step 3:Click Here 2.JPGStep 4:Click Here 3.JPG

Step 5:Update fields here.JPG

I am sure there is a simple explanation as to why the desired create subtask screen is not appearing at the desired time, but I cannot figure out for the life of me why. 

Michael Waterston January 2, 2020

I am having the same issue - any updates?

Suggest an answer