Why can't I create new users?

Emma Jones June 26, 2013

Hi

I need to create 2 new user accounts. We have 4 more licences remaining. When I try to create a new user, it comes up as You must specify a valid email address but the email addresses are valid. How can I set up the new users?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2013

What are the email addresses? The error message you are getting is because Jira thinks they are not in a valid format. (There's a grey area here - there is a standard set of allowable emails, but some email systems can't cope with unusual characters, so email checking validation often disallows odd characters, even though they're technically valid)

Emma Jones June 26, 2013

Thanks for the answer Nic but sadly they are in a valid format - all our other 46 users have the same format. It's simply name@company.com Any other ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2013

Sorry, I wasn't clear - do the names contain special characters? Are the email addresses already in the system? Can you check that you haven't padded them at the beginning or end with spaces (although it should be trimming them, that doesn't always seem to happen)

If you were exceeding licences, it would tell you about licences, the error you are getting is usually down to invalid email addresses.

0 votes
C&F Jira Admin July 8, 2013

I have the same issue today - the reason was invisible characters because of "copy and paste" an email address from a "strange" source.

Przemek.

Suggest an answer