Why can't I add issues to versions directly from the project backlog?

Greg Carpenter September 19, 2017

At least, I can't find a way to do it. This is anti-Agile.  

We follow Agile methodology from the very start of a project meaning:

• We collect user stories in the project backlog
  • We groom stories
  • We scope stories using story points
  • We prioritize the backlog by individual story from top to bottom (the backlog is a stack)
  • We do release planning

At that point we have a release timeline we expose to upper management for executive signoff.

Only then to we start Sprint Planning.  In Sprint Planning we start popping stories of backlog stack until the story points == team burn down.

We resist the urge to re-prioritize during Sprint Planning meetings. That way lies chaos.

If I'm wrong about the inability to drag issues directly from a project  backlog into one of multiple versions (releases), then I'm kvetching for no reason. IIn that case, if someone can describe how to do this I will be ecstatic. If that person gives me their paypal account info I might offer a small reward. :-)

We're on the latest version of JIRA.

1 answer

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

As long as you have edit permission in the project that the issue belongs to you should be able to just use drag and drop in the backlog view to move an issue to a version.

Agile Board.png

Isabelle Godio July 15, 2021

Hi, this is not working on my side neither. When I drag and drop an issue, Jira says it's been added successfully to the version . A label is added to the task in the backlog  but if I update the page, the issue disappears from the version.

Suggest an answer