Why can I not import issues into a new project that were exported from the same Jira instance?

ksawyer January 30, 2021

The format and names of the Jira columns (not custom fields) don't match up for some reason.  Why would that be?  Using CSV as export/import format.  The structure of the project exported from is identical to the project being imported into but that map fails in multiple places (e.g., creator, created, issue type.)

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2021

Hi @ksawyer 

When importing the data, are you mapping the columns from the CSV to the fields in Jira, during the steps prior to import?

If yes, when you upload what is the error you are receiving?

And, are you using the Admin uploader (external system import) or the user uploader (via the issue navigator)?

Ste

ksawyer January 31, 2021

The columns I need to map do not exist in the dropdown, creator and created to name 2.  I tried both uploaders.  Should I try XML instead?  Does CSV not work?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2021

I have a feeling this could caused by the delimiters used.
From the description the fields are not "splitted" correctly from each other unless there is something really strange going on.

Normally CSV export/import works very well and is a recommended way for many cases.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

Hi @ksawyer 

It depends on the field.

Issue Type and Date Created should both be there in the Admin External System Import - these are available fields.

Creator however isn't, see JRASERVER-62308 

This is expected and by design. The issue creator is always set to the logged in user who actually performed the "issue create" operation (in this scenario via import) and should be immutable.

There is a suggested workaround in that ticket - see this comment.

Ste

ksawyer February 1, 2021

The proposition is relatively simple.  We are trying to directly import an export from the same Jira instance.  The export and import simply seem largely misaligned.  Not sure why.  We are trying to split one repository for 3 clients in a combined project into 3 repositories for ongoing support.  No customization across these repositories. 

Next attempt will be to simply export 1 record and import it back into the same repository and see what happens.  Feels like it should be straight-forward.

As to mapping, I only see about 6-10 Jira fields to map on import from either tool.  Seems like there should be many more than that.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events