Why can I no longer see new Jira issues created on my Backlog until I change status from "backlog"?

Yvonne Markgraf December 6, 2019

I recently needed to create a KanBan flow to manage items in a more specific way. But, in doing this I applied another KanBan workflow to get the same columns to work in. However, something changed the Backlog board from viewing newly created Jira issues. They open as status Backlog, but are hidden from the Project's Backlog list. I can only see them in the list if I change the status to To Do. I prefer backlog items to remain in the backlog until they have been fully scoped by engineering and then I move them to To Do. I need to know how to get new items with the Backlog status to show in the backlog list (so I can and see what needs to be prioritized/refined each week for scoping). 

1 answer

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2019

Hi @Yvonne Markgraf

Two things you can check both via board settings - you can access those settings by:

1. Going to the board
  2. Selecting Options (3-dots in top-right) and choosing "Board Settings".

You'll need to be a Board Admin to make these changes.

Columns:

The status needs to be present in a column to show on the board:

1. Select Columns from the left-hand menu
  2. Ensure the status Backlog is in a visible column - if this needs to be the Kanban Backlog, it will need to be in the backlog column to the far-left on the grey panel

Filter:

The status needs to be included in the filter:

1. Select General from the left-hand menu
  2. View the "Filter Query" and ensure there is no exemption for statuses - such as "status in (..." or "status not in (..." - any JQL which might exclude "Backlog"
  3. If there is, press the hyperlink "Edit Filter Query" 
  4. Update the query and press Search
  5. Next, either Save the query (if you own it) or choose "Save As" from the options menu and save it as a new query
  6. Go back to the board - if you had to "Save As", return to General and hover over the filter under "Saved Filter" - here you can change it to your newly created filter instead

Let us know if these work and if not - we can look into other options :)

Ste

Yvonne Markgraf December 9, 2019

Unfortunately, these steps did not work. I had already added the Backlog column prior. The Filter Query is set for project = WIN ORDER BY Rank ASC which doesn't seem like it should be limiting this. When I created a new test issue it flags it with the message that it's created but Hidden. Is there some setting to unhide new issues? I noticed there is an empty board a backlog and a Kanban. Do I need to figure out how to delete the empty board? Is that creating a conflict? I am not working on Sprints at all, but this empty board is saying Active Sprints on it, which maybe is part of the problem. 

I noticed that I was able to move the new Test issue into the Kanban column from the Unmapped column, but now it's created two Backlogs lists in the Backlog view.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2019

Hi @Yvonne Markgraf

When you mention you've moved the Test Issue from the Unmapped column to the Kanban column, do you mean the first status at creation was not mapped to a column? This would explain why it came up as hidden if so.

If not - can you clarify what you mean?

Ste

Yvonne Markgraf December 11, 2019

Now I am getting new issues duplicated in a single Board, but when  select Backlog view of the KanBan, there are still two separate Backlogs showing. So, while new issues are now longer hidden - in the Board view they appear in on long backlog (with 146 issues) and in the KanBan Backlog view they show as 3 issues in one short backlog and duplicated in the longer Backlog list, that still shows 146 issues. I am not sure what change I made to enable them to move straight into the Backlog column (outside of making sure all of the Workflow statuses were also columns). 

What I think I need to do in order to remove the duplicate Backlogs is figure out how to delete the board that is called Active Sprints (because I don't have any active sprints) and it looks like that would remove the duplicate board and duplicate workflow that's not in use. I just can't find a way to delete just that one. I only see a way to delete the whole project, which I don't want to do. 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2019

Hi @Yvonne Markgraf

Apologies for the delay responding - did you find a solution to this issue?

It's not one I've seen before - it could be the duplicate board? To delete a board:

1. Choose the search magnifying glass on the left-hand navigation bar
  2. Next to View All, select Boards
  3. Locate your board and press options on the far-right of the row (3-dots)
  4. Select Delete

Let us know how you got on :)

Ste

Yvonne Markgraf December 30, 2019

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Thanks for following up! I am working with the duplicate boards for now. I am afraid to delete the original board that the backlog got duplicated from. 

Attached are screenshots I made to try to show you the old vs. the duplicate I somehow created. When I look at the search where you said to perform a delete, I can see the board that is the issue. It's the initial board I started with and it's in a SCRUM format. The board is one continual Backlog list and does appear to duplicate all of the new board I set up as a Kanban. If I delete the initial one, my worry is that the original board backlog list will disappear. I have attached the files to show the duplicates.Empty sprint view original board.JPGOriginal SCRUM Board.jpgNecessary Kanban view.JPGNew KANBAN Board.JPG

Suggest an answer