Why are two mails being sent when you transition an issue and add a comment in the same step

Deleted user February 28, 2018

Hi everyone

Something I've always wondered but until now never bothered to ask. When you transition an issue and add a comment in the same workflow step, why are two mails being sent for this action? One for the comment and one for the changed status.

Couldn't this be combined in one email? If so, how?

Thanks for any help

Marius

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2018

I believe this is happening because you have actually fired off two different events in Jira; one of these is the addition of a comment event, while the other is an issue edit event or issue transition event.

Since Jira is setup to use a notification scheme to control which users get notified of which specific events, I suspect that your project role is likely in both "Comment added" and "Issue Edited" events.   The better way to tell if this is the case is to look more closely at the bold text near the top of the body of the message.  This is expected to indicate which event fired and explains a bit more about why you got that specific message.

The problem here is that Jira does not presently have a means to simply combine the information in these two notifications and send them as a single email.  Instead Jira is designed to fire off these notifications immediately as they happen. Because of this, Jira is not waiting around holding notifications for any length of time in which we could await to see other notifications.  However there is a long standing feature request to help to reduce the email chattiness in Jira over in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1369

You could also try to adjust which events you want to be notified as a way to reduce the number of messages you receive about such events.  But right now, at least within the native Jira code, there really is not a clear solution to have Jira merge these messages in some way. 

Deleted user March 6, 2018

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for your in-depth answer.

Quite a bummer to see yet another crucial feature reqeust being postponed liked that... I come across issues like this every once in a while. It's always those little things which would make JIRA so much better but they just don't get implemented or fixed. Sometimes, these issues are years old.

Thanks nonetheless :)

Marius

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events