Why are there different values for resolution displayed?

Malcolm St. Romain Jr. July 16, 2013

Notice the difference of the values displayed here:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/rcy.png/

After updating the resolution via the "Edit Issue Screen" we see this:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/qpko.png/

Why are these values different?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2013

It looks to me like your issue was created with a resolution of "won't fix", which is unusual (and generally wrong). Either you have a post-function on the create resolution which sets it, or you've placed the resolution field on the "create" screen, so the user is setting it.

In both cases, you'll need to remove it in order to prevent Jira setting the resolution on create.

Yes, I agree, this is wrong. Thanks.

0 votes
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

From what I understand in the concept of resolutions in JIRA, as long as the Resolution is blank (in the case of your 1st screenshot), the Resolution field would be set to Unresolved. I believe that the Unresolved resolution is a hard-coded string that comes out whenever the resolution has not been set.

Just as a side note: just because of this, try not to create a new resolution called Unresolved. This will cause the whole searching of issues to go haywire (seen this before during my time as an Atlassian SE)

Back to your question: so yea, I believe that this is an intended behaviour, mate; that whenever there's an issue with no resolution set, then it would be Unresolved.

This would also explain the 2nd screenshot as well. Whenever the resolution changes (whether via editting the issue or workflow transition execution), it would be reflected in the Resolution field. Hence, that explains why your issue is now having the resolution Postponed.

Justin,

Regarding Screenshot 01, notice the values displayed for "resolution" are confusing.

This screen is displaying the results of updating a Transition Resolution screen triggered from the workflow action of moving the issue from status = backlog to status = killed. (note: killed is a custom status value that is similar to closed).

The "Details" shown at the top reflects a value = unresolved, while the "History" shown at the bottom reflects an Original value = won't fix, then a New Value = null.

So, I see that the values are consistent. Top shows "unresolved" because the New value = null; what is confusing is how this occurred.

Here are the steps to reproduce are:

1) create new bug issue

2) transition from backlog to "killed" (aka closed)

3) when prompted to provide a Resolution, we selected "won't fix"

4) select "Resolve"

How can I determine why the Resolution value starts with a value of "won't fix" then moves immediately to "null"?

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

Ah, okay. Actually, the history tab is divided into three: Field, Old Value, New Value.

I'll further break this down using your 1st screenshot as an example:

1. Field
    1. The fields involved when performing a transition.
    2. In this example, the fields involved are the Status and Resoolution
  2. Old Value
    1. The values before the transition starts.
    2. In this example, the old values before the transition is:
      1. Status: Backlog
      2. Resolution: Won't Fix
  3. New Value
    1. The values after a transition is done.
    2. In this example, the new values after the transition is:
      1. Status: Killed
      2. Resolution: _blank_ (Unresolved)

It is a bit daunting to understand the History tab in JIRA. But, hopefully my explanation above helps! :)

Suggest an answer