Why are the views/settings different when I use Board View vs Project View

Casey Jones August 15, 2017

I have one Project, Documentation.

When I click the header, Project, and select it I get a view that doesn't allow me to enter board settings, everything looks washed out, and is entiled just, BOARD.

When I use the header and select, Board, I get a much more detailed view with board settings but no project settings.

When I view all boards there is only one DOC board, and the same thing when I view projects.

This is what I'm seeing. The top picture is Board view, the bottom Project view 

Doc Board 2.PNGdoc board.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

Note the titles of the board.  Your first picture is of a Kanban board, provided by JIRA Software, and it's a board that has been told to look at your project.  Users who do not have access to JIRA Software will not have a boards menu.

Your second board is a project board.  These belong to Core projects in JIRA Cloud and are a very simple implementation compared with Kanban/Scrum boards.

There's no harm in using both.

Casey Jones August 15, 2017

Oh that makes sense. So all I have to do is change the project type to software and the two will become synonymous. 

Thanks for your help! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

No problem.  Yes, swapping it to Software should make your Kanban board become the "board" in the project summary.

Suggest an answer