Why are tasks not moved to a new sprint?

Raymond Vermeer April 9, 2021

When I complete my sprint the open issues are moved to the new sprint. Tasks are not. How can this be achieved for tasks as well?

To be clear it are Tasks not Subtasks....

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Hi @Raymond Vermeer,

You are describing behaviour that I haven't seen before. When you complete a sprint, all open issues (i.e. all issues not in the rightmost column of your board) are moved to the location you select: either the sprint you select or the backlog. There is no difference between issue types during the process.

There's only a few things I can think of that may cause this apparent behaviour:

• maybe there is a filter active in your backlog view: a quick filter, an epic or a version that was selected. In that case, there should be a blue link clear all filters next to every sprint name. Clicking that link should show all tasks.
  • if your tasks workflow was recently updated, maybe there is a status that no longer maps to the board columns. You can check that in your board settings, on the columns page. If that was the case, you wouldn't see your tasks on the active sprint view either, so this really is a long shot - but can't hurt to check.

If neither of those help explain, i'd be very interested to hear where those tasks went after closing the sprint and what the sprint field on those tasks is telling you.

Nevertheless, I hope this helps!

Raymond Vermeer April 11, 2021

I checked both but this is not the case. 

Below an example of a task:

jira TASK.PNG

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Hey @Raymond Vermeer,

That one is clearly not assigned to a new sprint - I can only confirm that this is clearly the case :-). Unfortunately, not more than that for the moment.

When you close your next sprint, could you take some screenshots of the choices offered during sprint completion (i.e. the active sprint board just before you hit the complete sprint button, the dialog that lets you decide where to move the new issues and the result in the backlog immediately afterwards)?

As mentioned before, there is no obvious reason why some issue types get assigned to a sprint and others not. Don't hesitate to add those tasks to your current sprint manually for now!

Raymond Vermeer April 21, 2021

Ok it seems that it is related to the fact we have 4 projects with their own Agile board.

These are the 4 projects:

• GN
  • OP
  • LN (no longer in use)

TOP has an agile board which combines all four projects

image.png

When I complete the sprint 29 in project GN I saw tasks where still in the new created sprint 30. I had to start the sprint 30 for the other 2 projects (OP&TOP) as well by hand.

After this I saw in project GN three sprints 30 and I had to move the stories from two of them to the first one to have them all in one sprint 30. Also I removed the other 2 empty sprints 30 by hand.

Where can I configure all projects should share the same one Sprint?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events