Why are paremeters missing in default dbconfig.xml for postgresql?

Seb Kouba November 20, 2015

When JIRA is installed using a postgresql db, there are parameters missing in the dbconfig.xml file that are included in the instructions about how to set a postgres db.

Here are the additional parameters:

<validation-query>select version();</validation-query>
    <min-evictable-idle-time-millis>60000</min-evictable-idle-time-millis>
    <time-between-eviction-runs-millis>300000</time-between-eviction-runs-millis>

<pool-test-on-borrow>false</pool-test-on-borrow>
	<pool-test-while-idle>true</pool-test-while-idle>

How significant are these parameters? Why are they included in one and not the other?

There are some explanations about the parameters here but they don't answer my question.

Thanks

1 answer

2 votes
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2015

Hi Seb,

As far as I know, not only Postgre but also MSSQL and Oracle dbconfig.xml do not come with these parameters by default. They're indeed only needed for Surviving Connection Closures, which means the default parameters should be good enough in the first place.

However, one point to note is MySQL dbconfig.xml does come with (some of) these parameters by default, so a Suggestion could be we make this consistent for all database types.

Cheers.

P/S: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-40754 may be related

Seb Kouba November 23, 2015

Hi Andy,

thanks for the reply. I have an official ticket open where it was suggested that I should add the missing parameters but I'm curious to learn as to why. I suggested in the ticket that support could reply here so the rest of the world also learns what's going on.

Cheers

Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2015

Hi Seb, Yes, Surviving Connection Closures should be the answer. Seems that the parameters come by default for MySQL just because only this database type supports validation-query-timeout. The other database types are left open for JIRA admins to tune accordingly. However, this is just my thought. Other users might have better answers :)

Suggest an answer