Why am I not notified when another @mentions me in an issue comment?

I'm kinda new to JIRA and I can't even find any notification settings in my profile.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Dec 30, 2014

The only notifications a user can control is the flag that sends notifications about things YOU do. Everything else is controlled by the notification scheme setup by the JIRA administrator, and the is by role or group, not individual users except in a very few cases. JIRA isn't like FB or other social tools where you get notified when some mentions you.

Thanks! I'll get in touch with my admin and see what gives.

Joe Pitt Community Champion Dec 30, 2014

For instance, the notification scheme are often set to send notifications to the current assignee, reporter, and watchers. Some transitions may also include special roles like QA. The notifications are triggered by post events like issue updated, issue closed, issue resolved, etc. It doesn't capture the content of comments and notify based on that.

uhhh...what is the point of @mention...ing someone then? seems like a trivial feature if it's difficult or impossible to notify the mentioned...

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Dec 31, 2014

My mistake. I did some research and it is now available. Are you mentioning users that have browse permission to the project and issue? If they can't browse the project it probably won't send a notification.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,878 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot