Why am I not notified when another @mentions me in an issue comment?

David Droddy December 30, 2014

I'm kinda new to JIRA and I can't even find any notification settings in my profile.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2014

The only notifications a user can control is the flag that sends notifications about things YOU do. Everything else is controlled by the notification scheme setup by the JIRA administrator, and the is by role or group, not individual users except in a very few cases. JIRA isn't like FB or other social tools where you get notified when some mentions you.

Thanks! I'll get in touch with my admin and see what gives.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2014

For instance, the notification scheme are often set to send notifications to the current assignee, reporter, and watchers. Some transitions may also include special roles like QA. The notifications are triggered by post events like issue updated, issue closed, issue resolved, etc. It doesn't capture the content of comments and notify based on that.

uhhh...what is the point of @mention...ing someone then? seems like a trivial feature if it's difficult or impossible to notify the mentioned...

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 31, 2014

My mistake. I did some research and it is now available. Are you mentioning users that have browse permission to the project and issue? If they can't browse the project it probably won't send a notification.

Suggest an answer