Why am I getting a 'cannot be assigned issues.' error?

I'm trying to assign an issue to a user and I'm getting an error:

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 09.53.11.png

Why can't I assign an issue to this user?

This user is in the group developers:

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 11.53.37.png

which is mapped to the developers role for the project:

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 11.54.33.png

which makes it an assignable user:

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 11.55.28.png

I recently installed JIRA Service Desk and this user is not an agent (I don't want the user to be an agent and the issues I'm dealing with are internal ones, not service desk ones).

answers.atlassian.com is not letting me comment anymore because I posted 3 comments already and I have less than 25 points. So I'm going to try to add content here.

So, from what I gathered, I made a huge mistake of letting this project be used for service desk. I thought service desk was another way for issues to be entered, not that it would require all my developers to have service desk licenses, something that I don't want.

4 answers

1 accepted

Dear Pablo,

I've managed to resolve the same issue by logging into JIRA using the login of the user I tried to assign the issue to. It appeared that if the user had never logged in, I couldn't assign issues to that user.

Best regards,

Andrei.

1 vote

If the project is a service desk project, then the user has to be an agent to be assigned it. Try moving the issue to a non-service desk project.

Please check for the permission scheme under "Assignable User" and if it is with project role, please check if this user is under that role.

RPandyaram, the user already has other issues assigned in the same project, I'm positively sure the user can be assigned issues.

Could you share if the issue is in "unassigned" status ?

Just because the user has issues assigned to them already does not mean that they currently have "assignable user" - if their role has changed, they may not be assignable any more.

Indeed I removed it from the current issue and I can't re-add it. I expanded the question to include information about the assignable user, but now I think this got broken after I installed Jira Service Desk. The user is not an agent. Is that the issue? I don't want the user to be an agent (not yet at least).

0 vote

Hi Pablo,

If you still are experiencing this issue, attempt to check JIRA's notification helper: Administration > Add-ons > Notification Helper.

Insert the name if the person, project and the permission and it will let you know whether the user has the permission or not.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

702 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you