Why Can't I Import Issues to Multiple Projects via CSV?

Trey Dismukes April 6, 2017

I am a Jira user rather than admin.

We are using standalone Jira rather than cloud Jira. 

The documentation for Jira Server Core 7.2 located here has a section on how to prepare the CSV for importing issues to multiple projects. 

The documentation at that same link only mentions importing using Issues > Import Issues from CSV. It does not mention any other method of importing issues via CSV.

When I run through the CSV importer using that method, during the field mapping step, No fields named Project Name or Project Key to which I would map my correspoding CSV fields appear in the dropdown list.

Is the documentation wrong? Do I need different rights inside Jira?

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2017

There are two import routes for CSV.  If you are a project admin, you can import a CSV file via issues -> import.  For their project.  It's a single project import.

But, administrators have access to the "Importers" section in the admin stuff - there is a second CSV importer in there that can import across projects, and is the one mentioned in that doc you have found.

Trey Dismukes April 6, 2017

The document that I referenced made no mention of any method other than the issues > import one, and it still had the section on importing to multiple projects. Does this mean the documentation is deficient?

Eric Longoria July 20, 2017

I too have this issue.  Is there any way for non-admins to be able to import into multiple projects via CSV?

1 vote
Tanya L Christensen October 15, 2017

The page you referenced provides details the Issues > Import Issues from CSV option but mentions that there is another option available to JIRA Admins.

partial quote:

Your administrator has access to more import options designed specifically for other systems, such as Github, Fogbugz, and Bugzilla. ...

Sven Wagner September 5, 2018

To complete this:

I stumpled across this myself because I was wondering why the project must be entered even though all data are in the CSV. When using the CSV importer for admins you can choose between selecting a project or referencing the data in the CSV file.

Suggest an answer