Why BigPicture is not properly syncing issue updates in Jira?

isurunix
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 5, 2018

We have setuped BigPicture to track the progress of our projects by Epic level and so far it's working fine. But sometimes when we move issues from one Epic to another those chages are not reflected in BigPicture Gantt. 
Clicking the manual Re-Sync works sometimes but it also fail to update the Gantt chart sometimes. In order to get it to sync we have reconfigure the progran and sync again.
Could you please help me to figure out the reason for this? Is there's a place we can configure a sync interval? Couldn't find much details about sync configurations in the documentation
This is the configurations for the program we are having this issue.

Screenshot_2018-10-05 Program configuration - JIRA.png

5 answers

2 votes
LK July 18, 2019

When will this change? It is annoying to constantly hear from Atlassian/Softwareplant that features will be released soon but you never hear anything later. Disappointing. 

We really need this feature.

LK July 24, 2019

*push

1 vote
Radosław (SoftwarePlant) October 5, 2018

Hi Isuru,

In your case there are two things to consider. First is Synchronizers versus Manual Changes on WBS.

As I am sure you know Synchronizers build your WBS structure automatically. They work in the following way:

Since your configuration has "Synchronize Project Structure" on top than this is checked first. If any task is not under its project than it is indented under the correct Project. Then the next(in your case Epc Synchronizer) is executed and it moves all the tasks under their epics accordingly. Your last synchronizer ("Synchronize Subtasks") is the last and it in turn indents any subtasks under it's parent task. That is how the automatic WBS structure is built.

The reason why your manual  changes do not persist is connected with the second issue at hand here, namely: the fact that our plugin does not automatically update changes to Epic links. We have not implemented this feature yet although it is one of our top priorities currently.

While you move tasks under different Epic the Epic Link is not updated unfortunately and after the re-sync the syncronizers indent it back under it's Epic. That is why you need to rebuild the structure to make the changes persist.

A word of advice here. If you want to make manual changes it is probably a good idea to remove sychronizers altogether and just stick to manual changes. That way the manual changes will not be reverted back by the automatic synchronizers.

Should you need more explanation regarding this matter please remember you can always contact us at support@softwareplant.com. We are always more than happy to help.

Louis-Philippe Lauzier
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 27, 2019

Do you have any update on this feature (i.e. sync/update Epic Name "back" to Jira issue)?

I'm asking becauze we're having the exact same problem, but with the fixVersion field...

1. initially setting fixVersion in byediting Jira issue
  2. updating/sync gantt to see correct parrent/child relationship (this works)
  3. manually moving epics from one version to another in gantt
  4. fixVersion field is NOT updated in jira
Sara Mooradian December 8, 2019

What does this mean? 

While you move tasks under different Epic the Epic Link is not updated unfortunately and after the re-sync the syncronizers indent it back under it's Epic. That is why you need to rebuild the structure to make the changes persist.

Michael Aglas December 13, 2019

what is the issue at Software-Plant to realize this? I couldn't find it... so I start to doubt it exists, would mean you are not considering this feature... I mean we are waiting now for about 14 months

Like Osean likes this
Andrzej Sawicki
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 31, 2020

For me it is as well a must have function.

Any update on that?

Like Jeremy Robins likes this
Kristoffer Ottosson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 13, 2022

Just writing to say this is still not working. Changing task parent from one epic to another is not reflected in BigPicture.

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 22, 2022

Hi @Kristoffer Ottosson

Changing parent from one epic to another should be reflected in BigPicture. The plugin behavior you described is not standard; therefore, please reach out to BigPicture Technical Support via our Service Desk,  providing us with more details (like base URL if you have Cloud instance). 

BigPicture Team will gladly assist you in pinpointing the exact cause of the issue and provide a solution.
Kristoffer Ottosson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 22, 2022

Will do, thanks @Anna-BigPicture!

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
0 votes
María Alejandra Londoño Gómez July 15, 2020

Good morning, Do you still have this problem? It's happening to me

Andrzej Sawicki
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 15, 2020

As far as I know it is a one way street. You need to update in JIRA as changes in BigPicutre do not go back to it...

0 votes
Stine Søndergaard May 15, 2020

@Radosław (SoftwarePlant)do you have any news on this topic?

I'm wondering how (and if) the order of the subtasks from a story is synced along with the tasks? It doesn't seem to be the case in cloud, but it would really be awesome if I didn't have to reorder them twice (first in Jira and then in the gantt ...).

/Stine

0 votes
RicardoAraya October 2, 2019

Same here, Im using big gantt cloud and it doesnt re sync properly when creating issues after the creation of the program... it just doesnt load any new issue.

Suggest an answer