Who is 'automatic' assignee for the resolve issue screen?

Stanislav Korotky March 11, 2012

On the Resolve Issue screen, if the field Assignee is left 'as is' with the value Automatic, what is the algorithm of selecting actual user as the 'automatic' assignee?

Should it be project lead, component lead or someone else? I don't see either. For example, I have a project with a project lead, and if an issue without a component is resolved, it is left on current user, that is assignee does not changed. Is this normal?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2012

Automatic Assignee will be based on Component Settings if there is a component or Project seetings if there is none.

If the current assignee is left 'as is', it will not change but if you change the option to automatic, it will go to project lead if that is set as default in the project.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2012

If the Assignee field is in your screen, you will see an option Automatic in the dropdown. If the assignee is not already selected, it will be automatic by default. But if you have an assignee, it wouldn't be changed. Makes sense?

What do you mean "change the option to automatic"? How can I change automatic to itself? I need 'automatic' to work even if a user does not play with the assignee field at all.

What project settings are important if not the project lead? I have a project lead mentioned in the project settings, but issues never assigned to him upon resolution.

The field Assignee IS on the screen. Its value IS Automatic by default. Automatic IS NOT in the dropdown list. What does this imply?

BTW, the same field works perfectly on the Create Issue screen, that is the issues go to the project lead.

Ok, I got it - if you have an assignee, it wouldn't be changed. I'm not sure it's useful, but is surely by design. Thanks.

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2012

Its value IS Automatic by default. Automatic IS NOT in the dropdown list.

If it is not in the dropdown list, how can it be atuomcatic by default? Can you attach a screenshot of how it comes on screen without changing anything?

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2012

The person who designed the workflow defined whom the automatic (default) assignee would be. Jobin is correct that Jira defaults to the project leader, but it can be overridden on status(state) transition.

If it is not in the dropdown list, how can it be atuomcatic by default? Can you attach a screenshot of how it comes on screen without changing anything?

This is how Jira renders this screen: edit box is filled in with Automatic, and if click the down arrow, the dropdown shows concrete Suggestions (users). There is no Automatic item. I can't attach screenshot here.

P.S. A small follow-up. If I choose a user from the dropdown, he/she is added into the edit box and removed from the dropdown, AND the Automatic item appears in the list.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2012

Jira docs do not always show every possible screenshot.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-postfunctions

Then search for "Update issue Field". It is a post function on a transition that defines the default.

From the user side, if do not make a selection (ie you are not overriding the selection by choosing a name) the assignee will be selected for you. You are not told whom the automatic person is because you should not care. If you want to know you need to look at the workflow.

Tom Baker March 12, 2015

Where in the workflow is this set?!?! I can't find it in any transition or anywhere.

Suggest an answer