Who gets assigned when issue has multiple components?

Mark Cassman April 23, 2022

There are several different answers to this question all over the internet but even here at Atlassian. 

On the cloud, if an issue has multiple components, and each component has someone different as the default assignee, who gets the assignment? One section of Atlassian says that it goes alphabetically, but another says it goes by the first component entered into the system. So which is it. Could someone please elaborate on this issue more? 

I'm studying for the ACP-620 certification and this is a small area that keeps giving me trouble. Thanks.

2 answers

4 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2022

Hi @Mark Cassman

This is a tricky one for the exams. It's alphabetical if all components have a component lead assigned.

If you have component "a" which is set to unassigned and the component "b" with a component lead, it will assign it to the user in component b.

Best way is to try it yourself or take the cert prep course which explains in detail.

Joanna Thurmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2022

Jira uses the following rules when assigning issues during issue creation.

1. If the reporter selects an assignee, then the issue is assigned to that person regardless of the assignee settings at the project or component level.

2. If the reporter leaves the assignee as Automatic, then Jira checks if any components were added.

3. If no, then Jira assigns the issue to the default assignee at the project level; which is either Unassigned or Project Lead.

4. If only 1 component was added, then Jira assigns the issue to the default assignee at the component level; which is either Project lead, Component lead, Project default, or Unassigned.

5. If multiple components were added and one of those components has the default assignee set to Component lead, then Jira assigns the issue to that person. 

6. If multiple components were added and multiple components have their default assignee set to Component lead, then Jira figures which component is first (in terms of alphabetical order) and assigns the issue to that component lead. 
Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2022

Thanks @Joanna Thurmann

It will be good as well to officially mention the alphabetical aspect when multiple components with component leads are selected, which I got wrong on the test exam and it was provided as one of the reasons.

Joanna Thurmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2022

@Fabian Lim Good point, I updated my response with #6 above.

Like Fabian Lim likes this
Mark Higgins August 20, 2023

Its also good to remember that the ASCII table is used, so API, comes before Active Directory, because AP, comes before Ac, in ASCII.

1 vote
Julian Matías Etcheverry August 17, 2022

Hi everyone, I´am testing the #6 and I get automatically assign the component lead of the component that was first created. Not the one that is first in terms of alphabetical order. Did you tested that?  Please let me know

Suggest an answer