Who can delete an issue in a next-gen project?

Adam Stein April 2, 2019

I am able to delete issues in my next-gen project, but other members of my team can't. I'm the site admin, so I'm assuming that this is a permissions issue, but I don't see any place to configure this. From the documentation it seems that on older style projects, this was a configurable project setting. But I don't see anything comparable for next-gen projects. Is the only solution here to make more people site admins?

2 answers

0 votes
Ray Nixon March 17, 2022

The workaround is to move the issue to another project where it can be deleted, and then to do it there. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2019

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

Steve Powell June 17, 2019

@Joe Pitt with next gen you need to define a new column on your board for any additional status so not sure your solution can be applied in this scenario without things looking messy....

Trey Overton April 27, 2020

@Joe Pitt That's pretty heavy-handed.

I understand your reasoning in general, but I have a small, trusted team. I have one member setting up a bunch of backlog tasks. As she works, she sometimes needs to re-organize that backlog or remove tasks we figure out we don't need.

Backlog is proposed tasks that may or may not ever have a use. If they aren't going into a sprint ever, I'm fine with deleting. If we really need to retain it for some reason, I trust my team to retain it, not delete it.

Such a flexible product, but this is where you draw the line, imposing that workflow onto my team without an option to decide for ourselves?

Like diego_alonso likes this
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2020

We have a philosophical difference in how we treat JIRA. I treat it like a system of record where you don't delete anything. Those stories you don't need today provide a record of ideas and thoughts about the project that were decided against. Even a 'trusted team member' can make a mistake and delete the wrong issue or an idea you discard today may end up being revived because of new circumstances.  

Suggest an answer