While creating an issue, is there an easy way to clone the issue multiple times?

Matthew_Walker September 19, 2017

This may or may not be a unique situation, so any creative suggestions on how to solve this would be appreciated.

1. I work in the maritime industry, and our work spans across a fleet of forty vessels.  Each vessel has one IT officer on each ship (assignee)
  2. We like to keep our fleet standard, so it is rare we have a task that doesn't need to be completed on all ships

With that in mind.  Let's use an example issue where we wanted to create a task in JIRA for our forty ships,

• "Create Rack Elevation Drawing for Primary Data Center"

That one issue, is actually 40 issues.  Because we want each ship's assignee, to produce a unique rack elevation.  40 drawings, from 40 different assignees. 

From an oversight perspective, we would prefer see in the JIRA board which ships are done, and which are not, etc.

All very well conceptually, until we wear the shoes of the requestor.  As the requestor within JIRA, must we:

• Create an issue, assign it to ship 1.  Submit.  Create an issue, assign to ship 2.  Submit.  (And repeat for 40 times).

Or is there an easier way either through customization, workaround, addons, that people are aware of that can do this in a more user friendly manner.  Maybe there has not been the exact issue reported on here, but even something could marginally help would be better than what we have now.

My worry is if we have to create an issue 40 times and fill in every field 40 times, we'll naturally default to just e-mailing the ships the task and ask them to reply once done.  A process I'd prefer to move away from...

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2017

Hi Matthew,

Using some scripting tool like script runner you can achieve this kind of behavior, for example:

1. You create only one issue
  2. You create a group of IT officers with the forty people
  3. Then you create a script to clone a ticket for every person in the group.
  4. Finally you can make this script available as a post function of a transition of the workflow, for example "Replicate to all vessels"

Then you can improve this logic by changing some fields based on the assignee, that should be possible too.

Michaela Gluchow October 12, 2017

Hi,

I am looking for a similar function.

Do have the groovy code for cloning an issue the right way? I thought of using the "Clone issue" function of Script Runner, but this only clones the issue once. 

Best regards

Michaela

Suggest an answer