While creating a board the board administrator is not added by default

Anita Hütter April 27, 2021

We have 2 instances of jira server and in the one jira if you create a board the board administrator is added by default. In the other jira instance he is not added.

It is the same for all users within the instances.

Can you imagine a configuration that makes a difference?

2 answers

0 votes
Anita Hütter May 6, 2021

We try first a restart of the whole service - this maybe refreshes the greenhopper plugin. There was no Migration from the clowd -- so this should not be the same problem from the ticket above.

Thanks for your advices! I will let you know if the restart helped.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2021

Hi Anita,

If I understand correctly, you have two different Jira Server sites here, but one of them is not setting the board admin as the person that created that board.   I have not yet encountered this specific behavior.

I do not believe that there is a specific setting that restricts this behavior globally. When reviewing our documentation on Configuring a board it explains that:

By default, the administrator of a board includes the person who created it.

I did some researching on the topic and so far the only thing that feels like it might explain this so far is this bug JSWSERVER-20897.  However the details of that bug indicate this only happens on Jira Server/Data Center sites that have been migrated from Jira Cloud AND when this happens there is a specific error being thrown when trying to add a board admin of

"Ug" is not a valid user.

If you are not seeing that error when trying to add a board admin, then I don't think this bug would apply to you.

We have more details about the permissions overview within Jira Software Server, but honestly, I can't recreate this exact problem you have described yet.  I thought perhaps if we remove the global permission of 'Create Shared Objects' that this could prevent this being set, but in my testing users without that global permission either can't create a new board at all (if a new filter has be created) OR they can create a new board from an existing filter while they are still added as a board admin.

I would be interested to learn more about your environments here, such as what version of Jira Software are you running here, what database type/version Jira is using on the backend, and what if any 3rd party plugins Jira might be using here.

You could also try to recreate this problem, say by creating a new board, and then immediately open up the $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file.  I would be interested to see if perhaps there is some kind of stacktrace or exception within the logs that might give us a clue as to why the board admin is not being set here.

Andy

Anita Hütter April 29, 2021

Thanks for your research Andy!

First af all I can tell you there was no Migration from cloud. I also found this issue with the "Ug"

We want test out the greenhopper plugin- maybe the issues come from there

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 30, 2021

Hi Anita,

If you are setting this problem with 'ug' user, then please follow the workaround steps as documented in Ug is not a valid user error while adding user as a Board Admin.  This will correct this problem in the environment.

I have not seen any other reports of this behavior though outside of environments that have been migrated from Cloud environments.  It might helpful to Atlassian support if you can reach out to our standard support channel in https://support.atlassian.com/contact so that we could investigate your environment in more detail.  This could help us to identify if there is perhaps some other known cause for this behavior.

Thanks

Andy

Suggest an answer