Which platform is recommended to run JIRA?

I understand JIRA supports Linux and Windows and most popular relational database servers. However, which platform do Atlassian recommend in terms of stability and performance?

6 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes
Daryl Chuah Atlassian Team Jan 07, 2013

This is a very subjective question, everyone have their own individual preference when it comes to stuff like that. In my opinion, windows and linux both have their own strong point and weakness, well I would say Windows is more user friendly, as is mostly in graphical user interface, while Linux you will need to have strong knowledge in all the command as is more towards command line interface. I would totally agree going on the one that you will feel more comfortable with it since it would be a long running process.

Perhaps you might want to read more on this knowledge base article regarding on performance tuning for JIRA : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Performance+Tuning

i know this can cause some discussion but my personal opinion is...

if you want to host with performance and stability you will want to use linux.

it may be that some users have good experience with hosting on a windows system but let me guess...the majority runs unix based systems

2 votes

I think the general answer is simply "what they support". However, I've seen strong suggestions that PostGreSQL is the preferred database (with MySQL second and Oracle a distant third). The preferred operating system is by far Linux (but that goes for almost everything nowadays), with hints that Red Hat and CentOS are the preferred distributions. This is just my impression though, I'm not Atlassian.

Linux + PostGreSQL ;)

Yep, Linux/Postgres gets my vote, I wouldn't recommend Mysql, its multibyte UTF-8 support is lacking compared to Postgres, it catches so many people out who interface with anyone in APAC.

2 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Jan 02, 2013

The three accounts I've support JIRA ran it on Windows Server with no problems. However, the best platform, in my opinion, would be the one your site is most experienced with.

1 vote
Mizan Community Champion Jan 02, 2013

I have seen huge JIRA (ver 5.1) instances (200K + issues ) on Windows and Linux , as a user i did not find any performace related issue . According to me you can go with the OS the Administrator is more comfortable .

Perhaps better would be to test which one runs better for TomCat webserver. Here is a research report

http://www.webperformance.com/library/reports/windows_vs_linux_part2/

http://www.webperformance.com/library/reports/windows_vs_linux_part1/

In my experience they are both very comparable, with linux having slight edge. However, if you're not familiar with Linux, that slight edge will be against you because of administration headache.

s.wolk I'm New Here May 30, 2018

The links are from 2006.

True.  But the principle is still right.  Run it on Linux.

There should be a bit of a bias - if you have little or no Linux expertise in-house, then absolutely use Windows, as your internal support for it will be better.  But if you have a free choice, or some Unix-like experience, use Linux.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

419 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you