Which platform is recommended to run JIRA?

David Morgan January 2, 2013

I understand JIRA supports Linux and Windows and most popular relational database servers. However, which platform do Atlassian recommend in terms of stability and performance?

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2013

This is a very subjective question, everyone have their own individual preference when it comes to stuff like that. In my opinion, windows and linux both have their own strong point and weakness, well I would say Windows is more user friendly, as is mostly in graphical user interface, while Linux you will need to have strong knowledge in all the command as is more towards command line interface. I would totally agree going on the one that you will feel more comfortable with it since it would be a long running process.

Perhaps you might want to read more on this knowledge base article regarding on performance tuning for JIRA : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Performance+Tuning

2 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

I have seen huge JIRA (ver 5.1) instances (200K + issues ) on Windows and Linux , as a user i did not find any performace related issue . According to me you can go with the OS the Administrator is more comfortable .

2 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2013

The three accounts I've support JIRA ran it on Windows Server with no problems. However, the best platform, in my opinion, would be the one your site is most experienced with.

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2013

I think the general answer is simply "what they support". However, I've seen strong suggestions that PostGreSQL is the preferred database (with MySQL second and Oracle a distant third). The preferred operating system is by far Linux (but that goes for almost everything nowadays), with hints that Red Hat and CentOS are the preferred distributions. This is just my impression though, I'm not Atlassian.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

agree 100%

to check that out please visit

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Supported+Platforms

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2013

Linux + PostGreSQL ;)

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2013

Yep, Linux/Postgres gets my vote, I wouldn't recommend Mysql, its multibyte UTF-8 support is lacking compared to Postgres, it catches so many people out who interface with anyone in APAC.

2 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2013

i know this can cause some discussion but my personal opinion is...

if you want to host with performance and stability you will want to use linux.

it may be that some users have good experience with hosting on a windows system but let me guess...the majority runs unix based systems

0 votes
Jared Merson April 21, 2019

I had been using Confluence, Jira and Bitbucket on a Windows server 2016 VM machine with 6cores and 16GB ram.  As well as an SSD.

The performance was spotty at best and more sluggish than anything else. After a year of suffering from this horrible performance, I started looking at Gitlab and got happy with the speed however the CE edition didn't have some features that my paid for Jira had. 

Gitlab was running on Linux, I thought what the heck, let's give this a try.  Over the past two days I setup and migrated my Confluence, Jira and Bitbucket to Linux and I am VERY happy.

Running on fewer resources and much much faster.

Not to mention the added benefit of not having to deal with Windows updates and the unexpected server crash.. dam windows... stay far away from it.  Linux for the win!

Gregor Eigner July 10, 2019

May I ask some questions since I'm planning to do a similar adventure:

• How difficult or bumpy was the migration procedure? Any obstacles one should take care before starting the actual migration? Have there been any trouble with file-name capitalization?
  • Which Linux distro did you choose? CentoOS, Ubuntu?
  • Which database do you use? Is it local on the same server VM?
  • Is the server still a VM? Which Hypervisor environment do you use? Hyper-V, VMWare, etc.?
  • How did the resource consumption drop? by 30% or even 50% ?

Thank you in advance!

0 votes
New Look August 10, 2015

Perhaps better would be to test which one runs better for TomCat webserver. Here is a research report

http://www.webperformance.com/library/reports/windows_vs_linux_part2/

http://www.webperformance.com/library/reports/windows_vs_linux_part1/

In my experience they are both very comparable, with linux having slight edge. However, if you're not familiar with Linux, that slight edge will be against you because of administration headache.

Steffen May 30, 2018

The links are from 2006.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2018

True.  But the principle is still right.  Run it on Linux.

There should be a bit of a bias - if you have little or no Linux expertise in-house, then absolutely use Windows, as your internal support for it will be better.  But if you have a free choice, or some Unix-like experience, use Linux.

Suggest an answer