Which file encoding should I use for importing CSV having German (non-Ascii) characters?

Phani Kommisetty
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 16, 2019

Hello,

Jira is throwing the following warning when trying to import a csv file ( jira project from test instance:

"The CSV file you uploaded contains non-ASCII characters. Make sure to set the right encoding."

Both Test/PROD instances default language is English. Configuration of both the instances is exactly the same. 

Please suggest a solution.  

2 answers

0 votes
Russell Zera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2019

Have you tried opening the CSV in excel, and then doing a "Save as", then clicking "Tools" and then "Web Options..." (Screenshot 1). When the Web Options window opens, go to the "Encoding" tab and then selecting "Unicode (UTF-8)" from the "Save this document as" drop-down (Screenshot 2). Click "OK", then save the file and use that new file to import. I ran into this same problem, and that works for me every time! Let me know!

SCREENSHOT 1 - 
image.png

SCREENSHOT 2 - 

image.png

Rahul March 22, 2023

@Russell Zera - With UTF-8 , I'm facing a challenge, even though the CSV contains formatted text in the Description field, upon imported into another Jira project the spacing and line breaks are ignored. In the new ticket created post import, the content in Description field isn't easily readable and needs formatting again.

Have you faced similar issues?

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2019

Hello Phani,

Welcome to Atlassian community.

I believe you might be facing the following bug, which also happens when the personal language of the user importing the file is configured to Deutsch:

CSV External system import is not working if uploaded file contains non-ASCII characters and default language is not English

That been said, I recommend you to try the following steps:

- Navigate to your JIRA Application > Click in your profile picture at the bottom-left corner > Personal Settings:

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 16.52.26.png

- Select the language English (United States) > Save Changes > Try to import the file again. If the language is already configured to English, try to move it to another language, save it and move it back to English (United States).

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 16.54.17.png

Let me know if it works for you.

Phani Kommisetty
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 19, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves 

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tired it and it didn't work. 

I updated the personal language to English in both instances.

Generated a new CSV file.

Tried to upload the file and then I see the same error.

Please advise.

Suggest an answer