• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Whether Jira supports updating existing issues using CSV import (Bulk).

Do i need confluence to support this action to be completed. Or else base Jira itself had the provision. Please advice

Can i update only specific fields alone rather updating once again all fields. So i can only specify required fields with separate comma to get this completed.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hello Satheesh,

Can you confirm to us if you are using JIRA Server or Cloud?

JIRA itself already have the functionality to import/export issues using CSV format and properly update existing issues on your instance. Here are the steps to update issues on Cloud and some server versions:

1 - On JIRA application, click to search for issues to display the issue navigator page

2 - Define which issues you would like to update in the filter > Click to Export it:

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 18.10.44.png

P.S: You can define in the List view the columns (fields) you would like to export if you use the option Export Excel CSV (Current fields)

3 - Once you export your CSV file, use a spreadsheet software (Excel, LibreOffice, etc) to update the relevant columns (fields) in your issues. Keep the issue-key unchanged in order to map the changes to the existing issues in your JIRA when you import it

4 - After saving the CSV file changes, navigate to your JIRA Settings > System > External System Import and import your issues back to JIRA, mapping the issue-key and all the changed fields

For more information about CSV imports, check the documentation below:

Importing data from CSV

Let me know if this information helps.

Yes, you can update any fields in existing issues using system import CSV.

To update fields in existing issues, the required fields are issueKey and Summary + the fields you want to update.
You will need to do CSV export first and then import.

System import is located here: System/External system Import/CSV.

Be careful - create a backup before this operation.

Thank!

Hello, I'm trying to do so, but with no success. First I cannot find the issuekey field to map, it is simply not there, so I'm using IssueID, then I validate the field and it passes the validation, but when I actually load the updates, they take no effect over the issue. Can you help me?

I believe you might be using the Issue -->Import Issues From CSV option to do the mapping. The Issuekey field is not available through this option. You will have to go through the JIRA Settings > System > External System Import option. You need to be a JIRA admin (Not just the JIRA Project admin) to use this option. You can check with your enterprise JIRA admin.

Like # people like this

It does not work at all. If you map the issue key, it tells you all existing issues have been skipped.

If you unmap the issue key, it tells you it won't start import because there are sub-tasks in the CSV???????????????????????

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you