Where is the sprint id

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Editing multiple issues at the same time

I want to bulk add many stories to a sprint using the documented method for editing multiple issues. At one stage of the bulk edit, I check-box the "Change Sprint" item. After entering an existing sprint name, its shows an error:

Sprint id must be a number: sprint-2

Where does one easily find the "sprint id" for a named sprint?

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Update

I just stumbled over an implicit location "where the sprint ID is surfaced in the UI", namely the 'View in Issue navigator' image link to the right of the sprint name:

image2016-10-25 14:2:44.png

Hoovering over that image link to the right reveals the target URL in most browsers, and it reads something like:

https://jira.example.com/issues/?jql=sprint %3D 42

... or ...

https://jira.example.com/issues/?jql=sprint%20%3D%2042

... depending on how the browser renders the URL encoding.

Initial Answer

Good question - I'm not aware of any location where the sprint ID is surfaced in the UI, but require it often too, here's what I do:

Go to the backlog, hover the mouse over the sprint name in question and 'Inspect' the element with your browser development tools (usually accessible via the context menu). The sprint ID is then visible in attribute data-sprint-id of the surrounding div.

image2016-6-18 15:58:1.png

Thank you Steffen,

That worked nicely.

As a workaround to "bulk edit" issues, it is much easier to add multiple issues to a sprint by using Shift-click and Ctrl-click as recommended here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/11977185

Best regards, Andrew

You can not always do that to cover your needs. With Issue Search you can collect a wide range of issues which are not even visible on the same board so you really need to know the Sprint ID to do a bulk edit on the collection.

Also being able to get a summary of all sprints including their IDs would help as sprints are somehow linked and shared between Projects. Thus making a deleted sprint from one Project also to disappear from the other one if they are sharing IDs. Which you don't know because you can't see their IDs. Chasing ID's via an URL or source is not the best way.

OR the bulk edit page can be improved to accept the name of a sprint and not the ID, which is the more user friendly way. I don't get why it isn't working that way already.

I had the same issue today, and was able to follow above instructions. We had collected a large set of user stories outside of JIRA, and I was doing an import from csv. As you would guess, the sprint name I put in didn't get loaded in the import, and I was doing bulk updates to correct. Yes, the bulk edit page should accept the name of the sprint. Can I vote for that?

This widget could not be displayed.

I found a link to the sprint on the right-hand column in the main View Screen of a ticket (under the "Agile" section). Mouse-hover over that link and the SprintID will show up in the URL.

SNAG_Program-0303.png

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

174 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you