Where does WBS store the Duration value?

Thomas Kejser May 6, 2022

I am trialling WBS Gantt chart for JIRA Cloud.

In that chart, I see a duration field. I would have assumed that it would pull this field from the "Original Estimate" in JIRA - but that does not seem to be the case.

Where is this value stored in the individual JIRA issue? I would like my developers to update estimates directly in the JIRA issue so they don't have to suffer the pain of looking at Gantt charts.

1 answer

0 votes
Alessandro Portela Cristiano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2022

Hello @Thomas Kejser 

Thank you for bringing this behavior to our attention and creating this Community Question.

Simply put, the Duration in WBS Gantt-Chart is a calculation between the Finish Date, minus the Start Date of each task and is calculated on the fly based on these values.

In case you would like to use Jira's work estimation, you can add columns to your Gantt Chart , such as Time Spent, for example and use that as a reference as well.

We are looking forward to hearing more from you. If you need assistance with our plugins or have any other questions, please, contact us anytime at Ricksoft-Support.atlassian.net. We'll be happy to help.

We wish you a great day!

Kind Regards,
Alessandro C. | Support Engineer
Ricksoft Support Team

xrigau September 30, 2022

This behavior should be configurable. In my case I am on a Effort adjust  mode and I have 100 tasks where the developers have already entered their Original Estimate.  

Now I need go over 100 tasks and fix it?

The whole point of using a Jira plug-in is to reuse and keep stories, tasks and sub-tasks in sync. Storing essential Gantt values independently of Jira standard fields is very unproductive.

Other Gantt plug-ins let you define the mapping. 

Alessandro Portela Cristiano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2022

Hello @xrigau 

We appreciate your feedback and we have reported it as a suggestion to our Product Managers. Once it has been elected for further releases, it will become available on the WBS Gantt-Chart Product Board Portal.

For now, since WBS Gantt-Chart has been designed to use pre-defined fields to calculate Duration, you may be able to move the data from the Original Estimate field to another either by using features such as Jira Automation or Bulk changes. These features should help you to not ave to manually update all issues entered in the Original Estimate field.

For more information, please take a look at our Wiki Article about Duration settings.

Wish you a great day ahead.

Kind Regards,
Alessandro C. | Support Engineer
Ricksoft Support Team

Suggest an answer