Where can I find simple instructions on importing CSV file?

Chris Ruppel April 29, 2022

I keep trying and failing to import a CSV file.  The file contains about 150 new issues we want to add to an existing project.  I've already imported wrong twice and overwritten over the top of good tickets.  So frustrating.  Instructions online only show how to deal with exceptions (special characters, multiple values, attachments, creating sub-tasks).  I just need to know what should go in the Issue Key, Issue ID, Parent ID, Project Key fields.  New sequential numbers?  Do I leave them blank?  JIRA wont let their customer call them and I cant get anyone on their support team to understand when I ask over email.  So frustrated!  Its 4am and I've been up all night trying to figure this out.  Anyone have any advice for me?  :(

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

Hi @Chris Ruppel ,

not sure about easy but here is the documentation from Atlassian - create-issues-using-the-csv-importer .

I have done quite a few imports and the one piece of advise is to import 1 or 2 rows (issues) as a test. In your case you should have pre-existing test issues so as not to mess up real issues. Once you have it save the configuration file and repeat test one more time before importing balance.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

You don't need the Issue ID, Parent ID, Project key

The Issue key is the ABC-123 which is the issue to be updated.

you may wish to create a test project to practice.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm good leaving thoise 3 fields you mentioned empty.  Can you expound a little more on the Issue Key?  Maybe that's my problem. 

If I'm adding a file of 150 tickets to a project that already has [for example] 500 tickets, what do I enter in the Issue Key field?  I'm not updating, just adding 150 more issues into an existing project.

Nothing?
ABC-501, ABC-502, ABC-503? and so forth in each row?
501?  502?  503? In each row?

Sorry for the dumb questions.  Just feeling a bit desperate.  Thank you!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2022

If you are adding new issues leave issue key blank.

If you want to update an issue include the issue key and map it during the import. The importer uses the issue key to realize a ticket is to be updated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2022

Leave the issue key blank if you want to create a new issue - Jira generates its own issue keys when you create issues.

Thanks for the device.  It worked.  But, it randomly starting assigning new keys to my test files with an uncommonly high number.  For example, the two test files should have been ABC-501 and ABC-502.  But instead, it was ABC-5256 and ABC-5257.

That's kinda weird.  Right?  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2022

Seems odd. But if there were a lot (4k+) of deleted issues then it would explain it. 

Yeah, it is a new project.  No deleted issues.  But hey, at least it worked.  Do I dare ask one last question?  Does this error message mean anything to you?

• Unable to link issue from autoid-4254751828470763473 to 28108 with link named 'sub-task-link': Cannot find imported issue key for external id '28108'

This is extra weird since there are no sub-tasks in the existing project, or in the CSV file.  Again...weird.  Any advice?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2022

Without actually having all of the data I cannot say for sure. Are you trying to link issues or are you importing sub-tasks?

Ironically, 'no' to both questions.

Suggest an answer