When would you use Pending or In Progress statuses? and Resolved vs. Closed?

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2019

New to JSD and trying to understand the default workflow for support requests that come with JSD.

1. When would you transition a request to Pending and when to In Progress?

2. Pending seems like it should be used when you want to raise a bug and link it to the request, but JSD doesn't allow to create an issue from that transition. It only allows linking to an existing issue.

3. If the agent creates a linked issue (a bug) that is assigned to development, it can take a year until this issue is addressed, so what status should the support request transition to?

4. When an issue is resolved, it should be considered as closed, then why JSD has Resolved status and Closed status?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2019

Hi Gil,

In terms of how I've seen statuses used:

- Pending: I've seen this used when waiting for more information from the Customer or waiting on information from a third party

- In Progress: I've seen this used when one of the agents is actively working on the request

- Resolved vs. Closed: these can mean the same thing but might not, for instance the Service Desk Request might be Resolved because the root cause was a known bug, but the bug is not fixed yet. So perhaps you want to mark the issue as Resolved (from a Service Desk point of view) but not close the ticket until the bug is fixed.  Alternatively, if your users have access to your bug tracker, you can point them there and close the request right away.

These statuses are actually configurable so you have 2 sets of statuses, one for the Request (that the customer sees) and one for the Issue (that the agents see).

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/configuring-request-types-and-workflows-732528910.html#Configuringrequesttypesandworkflows-CustomizingWorkflowCustomizetheworkflowstatusesforarequesttype 

I would encourage you to customer the workflow and statuses to suit your team, don't feel boxed in by the default statuses and workflows.

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2019

Thank you!

Like Marty likes this
Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2019

Hi @Marty just few thing to clarify, as I'm not confident that I'm approaching this correctly.

Pending - If it is used for 'waiting for more info from customer', then isn't it doubling on the default 'Waiting for customer' status?

Resolved vs. Closed - This still makes me confused. Usually when you resolve something, it has a resolution attached to it, i.e., Resolved with status Done, or Won't Fix.

The Closed must have some meaning which is important, otherwise, Atlassian wouldn't use it in the workflow in conjunction with Resolved.

So what am I missing here?

p.s. - I did configure the customer status view to be a bit more user-friendly, but it still doesn't help me with how to treat the Resolved vs. Fixed.

Like Marty likes this
Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2019

Hi Gil,

if you don't see any reason to have a separate Resolved and Closed status then don't use them.  Please don't think that just because something is in the default workflow that you need to use it.

Some more people from the community have weighed-in on Resolved vs. Closed here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/What-is-the-difference-between-closed-and-resolved-status-in/qaq-p/378505

Similarly with Pending - it's up to you to define the statuses and workflows that work for your team.

Like # people like this
Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2019

I agree with you that if it's there, it doesn't mean I have to use it.

I was trying to see if there's something I'm missing with my understanding - therefore, maybe there's a good reason for resolved and closed to be there.

Thank you!

Like # people like this
Paul Devenney December 9, 2021

a bit of a necro post - but this is a good discussion so. You can use resolved/closed as the gap between "the issue is fixed" and "the issue is well classified and any tidy up/reporting has been done". The clock stops on your SLA when you are resolved. That doesn't mean you don't have administration to do on the ticket to make it useful for metrics / readable for future / additional knowledge base articles created of the back of it / other related tickets all linked up.

Resolved: The issue no longer exists from the view of the customer

Closed: all important administration tasks have been completed related to this ticket.

0 votes
Ashraf B December 14, 2021

Hi there,

Would like to share some inputs here...

I have observed is:

Resolved: The problem (incident) is flagged as resolved as soon as the team has restored the services, or fulfilled the request.

Closed: Generally, a confirmation is requested / awaited from the customer. Here, the Issue still stays available for "Reopening". A couple of reminders are sent and if the customer doesn't respond in, say three days' time, the Issue is "Closed". Post that, the customer cannot respond to OR reopen the same Issue and needs to raise another ticket

Please share your views...

Regards,

Ashraf B

Suggest an answer