When using Kanban how do I focus on tasks assigned to a specific person?

Nathan Hawk May 15, 2023

During our Standup meeting we show the board and we typically are looking at prioritized issues, however sometimes I would like to focus on issues assigned to a specific person.  How can I filter down to a person or persons?  

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Hello @Nathan Hawk 

You could create Quick Filters for your board to temporarily reduce the displayed issues to a subset that are assigned to a specific person.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/configuring-quick-filters-938845301.html

Nathan Hawk May 16, 2023

One for each member of the team?  Yuck

The problem I'm seeing is that Jira doesn't support "slow" filters on the Kanban board.  How about a dropdown where I select the team member(s) or even a text based filter?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Yes, one for each person.

I don't know what you mean by slow filters.

There is not native functionality in Jira Server/ Data Center for board filters using a drop down or input field.

There may be third party apps that would provide that enhanced filtering capability. One that I've heard of but not used is Agile Tools & Filters for Jira.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215334/agile-tools-filters-for-jira-software?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

Nathan Hawk May 16, 2023

I assume they are called "Quick" Filters because they are only one click, so "slow" was just my play on words for a more advanced, potentially multi-click filters.  However, it appears that Jira doesn't provide any other way to filter other than Quick filters, which is very limited for such a mature product.  For this use case, using Quick filters would usually end up being multiple clicks anyway, because you would need to unclick the previous person's filter.  A multi-select drop down is much more user friendly (for example, assignee in the basic search UI).

It does look like the paid add on you linked to would work, and I like that they have an online demo to interact with.  However, the majority of the features the add on provides should be a part of the base product.  The tool is really not usable without them.  In reality, I have never worked on a team that did not regularly need to focus on individual assignments in real time during a standup meeting. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2023

It has been several years since I worked with the self-hosted Jira product regularly. I thought that I remembered they had a built in assignee filter for boards, but it turns out my memory was inaccurate on that point.

In the Cloud product there is a built-in filter for Assignees. It is similar to the Quick Filters in that you have to click it on/off for each user, but the user list is produced automatically based on the Assignees in the issues on the board.

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 9.25.27 AM.png

Like Nathan Hawk likes this

Suggest an answer