When should ticket move to "Done" in the workflow?

Omar Jouda January 5, 2022

Hello there,

I work in software development company and I have a question regarding the workflow of the tickets .. is it right to move ticket to done after testing in QA env or should be moved to done after release on production?

Also, how to use burndown chart in Jira to track the progress, is the story burndown depends on moving it to "done"?

Thanks 

3 answers

0 votes
Klára Zikešová January 5, 2022

Hi, it might somehow depend on your methodology. Usually it is the way the guys already wrote. But if it´s for example workflow of a bug and you realize after testing - it has been already fixed - bug no more exists, you can close it as you can use field fix version and a fix version has its date of relase. Why to wait for that realease date to close all the bugs. So it depends. There are certain recommendation and there might be something slightly different what is just works fine for you team, for example.

0 votes
Zulfiqar Bin Zafar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2022

Hello @Omar Jouda ,

Welcome to the Community!

Let me explain you Done

Done means that the task is completed as per client requirements. 

And done always come at the end of the flow when the QA test the functionality and release.

Flow is: To Do -> In Development -> In Review -> Done.

Thanks & Regards,

Zulfiqar Bin Zafar

0 votes
Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2022

Hi Omar,

Very good question, When is done, done... 

You can find more info on the definition of done on scrum.org

The burndown chart will check if the resolution has been set. Only when the resolution is set, jira will consider it as done. no mather what the status name is. 

Regards

Dave

Omar Jouda January 5, 2022

Thanks Dave

Can you please tell me more about resolution?

Dave Bosman _Realdolmen_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2022

Hi Omar,

I could tell you but that would be me, saying in my own words, what is explained on this page ;) 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/best-practices-on-using-the-resolution-field-968660796.html

The documentation is more extensive than what i would write here, so.... I hope this will help you any further. 

What i do want to say is, make sure that you set a resolution on each issue that is closed. If you reopen it, make sure that you remove the resolution. This can be done with a transition screen where you let the users choose, or you can do it with a post function. Both need to be configured in the workflow. 

I hope that this information answers all your questions.  

Regards

Dave

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

I'm afraid it's a bit more complex than that.

Plain Jira uses "Resolution = <empty>" to indicate that an issue is open and needs more attention, "Resolution has any value at all" to indicate that an issue is closed and no-one needs to look at it again (for working on, there's plenty of reason to run reports off resolved issues)

But, Scrum and Kanban boards do not look at resolution.

Kanban boards can look at anything for their "done" (the default is "has a version that has been released"), but there's no burn-down on Kanban boards, so it's not too important.

Scrum boards look only at the last column on the board the sprint belongs to.  An issue is "done" if it is in the last column, and not done if it is any other column.  Resolution is irrelevant to burn-down.

Like Omar Jouda likes this

Suggest an answer