When re-assigning issue-types to another workflow, should a warning icon appear?

Ted Husted March 14, 2022

I'm adding a new column for a project that had been using a shared workflow (a ToDo column).

I do not want to update the shared scheme or workflow. 

1. I copied a Workflow Schema from another project under a new name. 

2. I copied a Workflow from that same project and added it to the new workflow under a new name. 

3. In the new workflow draft, I started to assign the Issue Types to the new workflow. 

4. When I assign all of the types to the new workflow, a Warning icon appears next to each type (yellow/orange triangle with an exclamation mark) with no explanation. The Icon only appears when I assign all of the types.

Is the icon normal? -- I imagine it's an indication that the prior workflow will be redundant with no issue types assigned to it.  

-Ted.

1 answer

0 votes
Crystelle S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2022

I believe you are referring to the column mapping inside of the Jira board? If so, yes, the system recognizes when you move an issue type from one workflow to another that unless another issue type is also using that old workflow, that workflow no longer applies to the tickets in that board. If you drag that status in the right-hand panel it will disappear. Workflows belong to tickets and so if no tickets are using a workflow, then the board "drops" those statuses.

lapacquah_bryant March 22, 2023

Hello I received the same type of warning, however it was when adding a new/copied workflow to a workflow scheme.  

I copied the workflow already in use and added a approval status to it and it remains in the inactive section of workflows.  I read I need to associate the newly created workflow to a  workflow scheme.  However when adding it to the issue type already in use by the original workflow, the yellow triangle warning appears.  Does this mean I am replacing the Issue Type with a new workflow?

Like Sarah Campbell Gates likes this

Suggest an answer