When Importing Project With Project Configurator, Receive NullPointerException

Shirley He January 9, 2019

UPDATE: I tried importing the project a second time, this time with an empty project of the same name as a placeholder. I ended up with a different error and now I cannot view or edit any workflows whatsoever. The error given on the second importation stated that an existing unpublished draft of a workflow prevented import of the source workflow. I guess most importantly how do I fix the problem where I can no longer view or edit the workflow?

We are trying to import a project using project configurator. We receive this error but do not know what the problem is. We've looked at the workflow, issue type scheme, field configuration, etc. and have found nothing amiss. What might be the problem?

INFO 12:48:24,794 [Workflow CORE Workflow] Workflow is active. Creating a draft.
ERROR 12:48:24,969 java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.manager.IssueTypeSchemeManagerImpl.getIssueTypesForConfigScheme(IssueTypeSchemeManagerImpl.java:271)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.manager.IssueTypeSchemeManagerImpl.getIssueTypesForProject(IssueTypeSchemeManagerImpl.java:242)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.manager.IssueTypeSchemeManagerImpl.getIssueTypesForProject(IssueTypeSchemeManagerImpl.java:247)
at com.atlassian.jira.project.ProjectImpl.getIssueTypes(ProjectImpl.java:122)
at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.DefaultProjectWorkflowSchemeHelper.getProjectsUsingWorkflows(DefaultProjectWorkflowSchemeHelper.java:89)
at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.DefaultProjectWorkflowSchemeHelper.getAllProjectsForWorkflow(DefaultProjectWorkflowSchemeHelper.java:75)
at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.DefaultProjectWorkflowSchemeHelper.getAllProjectsForWorkflow(DefaultProjectWorkflowSchemeHelper.java:63)
at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.DefaultProjectWorkflowSchemeHelper.isWorkflowIsolated(DefaultProjectWorkflowSchemeHelper.java:80)
at com.atlassian.jira.event.AbstractWorkflowEvent.<init>(AbstractWorkflowEvent.java:38)
at com.atlassian.jira.event.DraftWorkflowCreatedEvent.<init>(DraftWorkflowCreatedEvent.java:13)
at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.createDraftWorkflow(OSWorkflowManager.java:252)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.jiraobjectfacades.WorkflowToolsImpl.createDraft(WorkflowToolsImpl.java:72)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.WorkflowHandler$1.createNewFrom(WorkflowHandler.java:134)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.WorkflowHandler$1.createNewFrom(WorkflowHandler.java:1)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractSmartCreator.smartCreate(AbstractSmartCreator.java:13)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.WorkflowHandler.createADraft(WorkflowHandler.java:150)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.WorkflowHandler.changeToDraftWorkflowIfNeeded(WorkflowHandler.java:123)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.WorkflowHandler.access$7(WorkflowHandler.java:108)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.WorkflowHandler$5.areValuesEquivalent(WorkflowHandler.java:281)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.WorkflowHandler$5.areValuesEquivalent(WorkflowHandler.java:1)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractIntegratedHandler$4.areValuesEquivalent(AbstractIntegratedHandler.java:294)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractSmartPropertySetter.hasAnythingToDo(AbstractSmartPropertySetter.java:28)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractSmartPropertySetter.smartSet(AbstractSmartPropertySetter.java:11)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractIntegratedHandler.processOnepropertyHelper(AbstractIntegratedHandler.java:300)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractIntegratedHandler.processPropertyActionList(AbstractIntegratedHandler.java:261)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractIntegratedHandler.handleSubordinatesAndProperties(AbstractIntegratedHandler.java:234)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractIntegratedHandler$2.doAndReturn(AbstractIntegratedHandler.java:188)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractIntegratedHandler$2.doAndReturn(AbstractIntegratedHandler.java:1)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.utils.SmartErrorReporter.wrapSafely(SmartErrorReporter.java:99)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractIntegratedHandler.modifyTarget(AbstractIntegratedHandler.java:184)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.core.AbstractTargetHandler.handleTarget(AbstractTargetHandler.java:104)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.ProjectConfigLoader.loadGlobalCollection(ProjectConfigLoader.java:733)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.ProjectConfigLoader.loadWorkflows(ProjectConfigLoader.java:512)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.ProjectConfigLoader.loadGlobalObjects(ProjectConfigLoader.java:366)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.ProjectConfigLoader.loadOperations(ProjectConfigLoader.java:220)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.loaders.handlers.ProjectConfigLoader.doLoad(ProjectConfigLoader.java:120)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectConfigImporterImpl.doImport(ProjectConfigImporterImpl.java:166)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectConfigImporterImpl.access$0(ProjectConfigImporterImpl.java:149)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectConfigImporterImpl$ConfigImporterTask.call(ProjectConfigImporterImpl.java:145)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectConfigImporterImpl$ConfigImporterTask.call(ProjectConfigImporterImpl.java:1)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ImportJobRunner.runJob(ImportJobRunner.java:122)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectConfigImporterImpl.runImportConfigJob(ProjectConfigImporterImpl.java:121)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectConfigImporterImpl.importConfigurationSynchronously(ProjectConfigImporterImpl.java:97)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectCompleteImporterImpl.executeNextPhase(ProjectCompleteImporterImpl.java:268)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectCompleteImporterImpl.doCompleteImport(ProjectCompleteImporterImpl.java:195)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectCompleteImporterImpl.access$0(ProjectCompleteImporterImpl.java:188)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectCompleteImporterImpl$CompleteImporterTask.call(ProjectCompleteImporterImpl.java:145)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.operationsapi.impl.ProjectCompleteImporterImpl$CompleteImporterTask.call(ProjectCompleteImporterImpl.java:1)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.longrunningtasks.TaskHelperImpl$WrappingTask.call(TaskHelperImpl.java:67)
at com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.longrunningtasks.TaskHelperImpl$WrappingTask.call(TaskHelperImpl.java:1)
at com.atlassian.jira.task.TaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(TaskManagerImpl.java:458)
at com.atlassian.jira.task.TaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(TaskManagerImpl.java:426)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at com.atlassian.jira.task.ForkedThreadExecutor$ForkedRunnableDecorator.run(ForkedThreadExecutor.java:216)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2019

Hi Shirley,

I can confirm that this error indicates that one of the workflows for the project being imported contains a draft which is blocking the import.

Can I please ask you to try  working around the error by reviewing all of the workflows in the target instance and publisging  any unpublished drafts for the workflows. 

Can I also please ask you to try re running the import after performing this action ensuring that you check the Try to publish drafts option on the configuration import screen as this will automatically attempt to publish any workflow drafs which exist. 

If this response has answered your question can you please mark it as accepted so that other users can see it is correct when searching for similar answers.

Regards,

Kristian

Shirley He January 11, 2019

Hi Kristian,

We figured out afterwards that it probably was due to an unpublished draft, however it seems the failed import broke the workflow editor and viewer. Now, we are not able to view any workflows whatsoever and we cannot edit them either. Do you know of any possible solutions to this current problem?

Thanks,

Shirley

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2019

HI Shirley,

It is possible that the errors with the workflow have caused it to not import  in correctly.

Can you please try deleting the workflow with the name of Core Workflow which you imported in and see if the workflows page starts loading again once this workflow has been removed.

Regards,
Kristian

Shirley He January 11, 2019

Hi Kristian,

I deleted the workflow and was greeted with an error, though it appears the workflow was successfully deleted. Unfortunately I still cannot view or edit workflows. When I try to create a draft, I receive the same error as I posted above.

Regards,

Shirley

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2019

Hi Shirley,

So that i can understand what error is happening when you try to create a workflow can you please attach a screenshot here of the error which is displayed when you try to create a workflow.

Also can you please advise if any errors are shown inside o the atlassian-jira.log file when you try to create a workflow.

Regards,

Kristian

Shirley He January 15, 2019

Hi Kristian,

Thanks for your help. Since this is just a development instance, we've decided it might just be faster to restore a backup and try importing again while keeping in mind to save or discard all unpublished drafts of workflows. Do you know if this error caused by drafts could potentially happen with any other Jira schemes and things that hold onto unpublished drafts?

Regards,
Shirley

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2019

Hi Shirley,

Thankyou for confirming that your issue is resolved.

I do not think this issue  should happen with other schemes but would advise testing the migration process on a test server first of all to identify any potentail errors.

Regards,
Kristian

Suggest an answer