When I update and save a story it overwrites the epic and is saved to the epic.

Connie Dietrich September 12, 2019

I go into a story, update the story and save it. The verbiage from the story then overwrites the entire description of the Epic and automatically saves the changes. I have to then correct the epic. When I save the epic it does not overwrite the story. 

Extremely frustrating...

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2019

This is not something Jira does natively - issues are all separate entities and an update on one has no effect on others (ok, some calculated stuff, yes, but no field overwriting field on other issues)

You must have some automation or script added to your system that is doing this.  You'll need to find and fix that.

There is no script or automation. I think it was happening when I had 2 instances of Jira open and one had the epic and the other had the story open. I currently have only one browser open with the story I am working on in it and I have not see the issue re-occur. I know I used to be able to multiple stories open and updates to one story would not affect any other story that was open at the time.

This only started recently. 

If it helps I am in new view. It does not appear to happen in old view. But it is definitely a bug in Jira and not automation since under Automation for Jira it says 'no automations available' and 'none executed'.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2019

Ok, that sounds like the session data in the browser is getting confused.  I'll try to be simple and just use tab examples, but it could be more complex.  Imagine Tab 1 is opened and goes to the epic, then you open tab 2 and open and update a story.  It is possible (although most sane browsers would not do this) that posting the data in tab 2 also cascades into a post on tab 1.

The next time this happens, I would want to trap which browser you're using, what sessions are open, and take a look at the history of the issue and the epic, to see what times, dates and accounts are logged against the changes made.

Connie Dietrich September 13, 2019

when you say, I would want to trap, do you mean that I should have my IT dept look at it or someone from Atlassian.

I am ready to show what happens when you are if it is Altassian. I only ever use Google Chrome. I have more then one session of Jira, my Google email, calendar and chat open (all G suite at work). Sometimes I have Google Drive open.

I have 3 screens at work, I will have Jira open on 1 screen and working Jira on another screen so I can see what is in the other story.

When I select the Epic using the link at the top of the page or on the side panel and go back to the epic, the epic is overwritten and saved with the story I just finished updating. 

Thank you,

Connie

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2019

"Trap" - sorry, that's a bit of an odd use of the word, and I should have chosen better!  "Capture" may be better, but really I just meant "what is the browser in use", which you've answered now.

Another question here - can you try this in a single session?  Edit the issue as normal in a single window, with no other chrome windows or tabs open on Jira.  See if the Epic is updated with the story data after you save the change.  If it is, then there is a script or automation on Jira pulling the data out of the story.  If it is not, then there is a problem with your browser.

Connie Dietrich September 13, 2019

I thought it was only with more then one session, now I am able to replicate with just one session as well. 

I was testing this AM and I noticed that the numbers at the top of the screen (immediately above the Story/epic name) are not right. They start out right but if I open a 2nd session or I go into a story, save a change, go to the epic and then go to the story again, the numbers are both the epic number with the story icon to the left of the 2nd number.

I am not able to copy my screen prints into this message. Can I send them to you?

I think I can replicate it 90% of the time.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2019

The only numbers at the top of the screen relate to the issue key.  If these are "changing", then you're looking at different issues.  This does not sound right to me, I think we really do need some screenshots.   The camera icon in the toolbar here allows me to show you what I would like to see in a cloud environment.
Screenshot 2019-09-13 at 22.57.47.png

Connie Dietrich September 17, 2019

I can send screen shots but I am not able to paste them into this UI. How do you want me to send them?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2019

There's a camera icon at the end of the editor icon bar in the reply box here.

Connie Dietrich September 18, 2019

This only happens in New View. I have switched back to old view so I don't have this issue, but I prefer new view. It is so much more user friendly.

Connie Dietrich September 18, 2019

I don't think my screen shots worked, I will try again...

Oh I see, rookie mistake, forgot to hit insert... image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Connie Dietrich September 26, 2019

Any updates on this issue?  I much rather use New View then old view however this issue completely eliminates new view as an option.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2019

Sorry, I lost track of the thread.  I'm afraid your screenshots are too low resolution for me to make out what is happening - the writing is just a bit too fuzzy.

Connie Dietrich September 26, 2019

Can you provide me with an email to send them to? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2019

We don't publish emails here - they get scraped by spammers and scammers.  Could you try attaching screenshots at a slightly higher (readable) resolution?

Suggest an answer