When Did Project Type Get Locked At Creation?

Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

I've been a Jira administrator for a long time, but most of my experience has been on Server, with much shorter periods of being afflicted by Cloud.

I recently joined an organization using Cloud, so I'm reconnecting with old annoyances but I recently came across one I did not remember before: not being able to change project "types" i.e. move between Jira "Work Management", "Service Management" and "Software".

Am I losing my mind and this has never been possible, or is this a relatively new thing?

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

It started to go away a few years ago, around the time Atlassian invested a load more time in broadening the project templates on Cloud.  The first one that went was Service Desk -> Software if I remember right, but others quickly followed, with JWM -> Software or JSM going last (actually not even sure either of those have gone)

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

That is not a new thing, at least in Jira Cloud. 

I last worked with Jira DC about 4 years ago, with v7.13, and I don't recall being able to change the type of project between Software and Service (we didn't use Jira Core/Work Management). 

I really don't think this has ever been possible. I've never seen anything about it being possible in either hosting type. To my knowledge it has always required creating a new project of the desired type and then Moving the issues from the old project to the new project.

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

I concur. I do not remember be able to change the type of project on Server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2022

I remember being able to do it on Jira 7.6 (I think it was 7.6 - it was definitely the version that finally got priority schemes because the client wanted to take advantage of them and change a load of JSW/JWM projects to Service desk with different priority).

My instinct is to suggest that 8.0 ended it completely, but I really don't know.

0 votes
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2022

I suppose it confirms I am losing my mind, but thanks y'all!

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2022

For those new to this question, here is the Atlassian support document for how to Convert a project to a different template or type:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/convert-a-project-to-a-different-template-or-type/

Suggest an answer