Whats the difference between Delete and Disable a Custom Fields option (Lookup List Values)

RG May 24, 2022

I have a custom field (Single_Select) in my jira instance. The field has some option values in it. I want to remove some of the options.

Could you please confirm what will be the impact of Delete option and Disable option in our 2 Lac+ tickets.

1 answer

0 votes
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2022

HI @RG 

Delete removes the option from the list
Disable hides the option from the end user

RG May 24, 2022

@Craig Nodwell Thanks for your quick reply.

What is the impact on existing 2 lakhs ticket in our instance, if we will detele the options. These values will be removed from all closed tickets or no impact on existing tickets.

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2022

I don't think it affects existing issues with a value, however I cannot validate that as I don't currently have an environment.  Personally I would do a test sample of that re: add an option create a ticket with that value disable the value see if it's there, delete the value see if it's there.  Sorry I cannot help more.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2022

@Craig Nodwell is right - a disabled option cannot be selected when creating or editing an issue, but remains on existing issues it was applied to, so you can still report on it.  Deleting an option strips it from all the issues it might be on.

Like # people like this
RG April 20, 2023

I have tested.

If we delete custom field value, removes options from the list and it will be deleted from existing issues as well.

If we disable custom field values, hides the option from end user and  will be not available to use for new tickets and also visible in existing tickets (Old tickets).

Suggest an answer