Whats best practice for creating one new screen/screen scheme to use for many running projects?

Erez Tavor November 24, 2016

We've been working on several software projects on JIRA with out much planning forward (mistake sad) and after a few months I stopped to review whats up - we now have 20 software projects with different settings (screens/schemes/etc.) associated to them - but basically its the same one just named after the project associated to it (at least the workflow is just one.)

The problem that arises from this is that any change we want to do in the way we work such as adding a custom field, adding it to a screen etc. needs to be done on each project - a very time consuming process.

I would like to create one screen to rule them all as these software projects have everything in commo.

I'm just staring at the admin screen not knowing how to begin and what should I do to make this process future-proof.

Any help is appreciated.

(a link to a nice guide would also suffice)

1 answer

1 vote
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2016

Screen scheme is interconnected with workflow scheme. Namely, issue creation screen is used on create transiton. Since you should define issue types and workflows first. 

Then create issue configuration for each issue type/workflow.

And then create field configuration to define mandatory fields.

When screen scheme is created is is better to start with screnn with all fields on it. Then issue specified issue creation screen. And at last, browse and edit screen are separeted.

Suggest an answer