What version of JIRA introduced the Lookup Issues action in automation?

Brad Johnston May 26, 2022

I'm running JIRA on my own server and want to be able to sum up the story points for all the stories under an epic.  I see that you can do this with automation using the Lookup Issues action.  However my version of JIRA doesn't have this option.  Does anyone know what version this was added for the server version?  I can't seem to find anything in the documentation about when this was added.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2022

Hi @Brad Johnston  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

As already noted, the Lookup Issues action does not exist for the Server/Data Center versions of automation rules.

I can think of a couple of work-arounds possible for the use case you described of summing the story points up to the parent epic:

• the Server/Data Center version has a bulk-handling feature for issues, and you could use that with a scheduled trigger on a specific epic with JQL, branch to the epic, and then make the update.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/bulk-handling-of-issues-993924653.html
  • perhaps you could use a web request to call the REST API with JQL to gather the issues, and then use the response to sum the values.  One advantage of this approach is that it could be used for any epic, rather than only for one hard-coded into the scheduled trigger's JQL

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2022

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Unfortunately this option was not implemented in Server yet

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAAUTOSERVER-53

Suggest an answer